Litter Of Kittens Born 50g Each - What Else Can I Do To Help?

FurryTails100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We discovered our two year old girl was pregnant and expected that she would have kittens towards end of January 2018, so prepared as much as possible.

We set up a birthing pen, welping box, heated pet pad (for when it is needed), blankets and also started feeding her kitten food (gradually).

However, when we switched her onto the kitten food, she begun having terrible diarrhea. We were really concerned that the kittens may not be getting all the nutrition they needed as whatever was going in, was coming straight back out. She has been wormed as usual and prior to the pregnancy and kitten food, her toilet trips were quite normal.

At 11pm on 31/01/2018, she went into labour. As I expected, the kittens are very underweight, three survived, 1 was sadly still born.

The kittens are still alive and two reach 60g when weighed earlier this morning (8am). Mum seems to be feeding them regularly. I decided not to put the heated pet pad on as I was concerned they may overheat - instead i've turned the heating up in the room to a nice temperature.

Mum is doing as well as she can and is happy for me to weight them etc, I am concerned however about supplementing them with KMR - can anyone give me some advice on what i can do.

I am preparing for the worst as i know there is a very high chance that they may not pull through, but i want to make sure i'm giving them a really good chance!

Thanks.

:)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will write some now, more later on...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FurryTails100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I understand, 2 raised from 50 to 60? If so, its good, they should manage.

What is with the third?

If they do increase reasonably, you dont need to supplement - it has some dangers in itself.
If they dont increase more than marginally, you must supplement. KMR in powder is good.
Can you get raw goats milk? Its even better.

IR-heating lamps are useful for prematures, especielly if you must handfeed.
This way, they wont get cooled down when you work with them... Not in the same way as you use heating pads.

If there is more diarrhea, use pedialyte to drink, bough or homemade...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the third doing?

We had two survivors of 48 and 49 grammes. And they were sickly at that. Took time and effort. They were orphans too, no momma whom did the main share of work.

So it can be done. But it takes lotsa of effort and you will be sleep deprived maybe several weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FurryTails100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its amazing to hear that it is possible for such low weight births.

I can see where will sell raw goats milk in my area. Is it best in a syringe? I have the bottles but they seem way too big for a kitten of that size if I do supplement the kittens.

The third kitten has put on around 5g - but i have seen it feeding from mum, just not as often.
I also seems to become separated more often than the others. The other two are just almost constantly near their mum trying to feed.

I am going to weigh them again tonight and will update you if that is ok?

Have you ever heard of diarrhea in pregnant cats?

Thanks for your help!

:)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, of course do report, and come with questions. This is the trick. :)
Yes, weigh them constantly, every 12 hours, especielly the third one whom is most critical. Im more optimistic about other the two. When they had stabilized, every 24 hours is OK. 10 grams in two days is not bad, OK even for an healthy kitten.

Unless you can arrange some schedule where the third gets more momma time, I think he is the one whom need supplementing.
Syringe is the common. Kittens whom have access to momma, are often reluctant for bottle.
Also, syringe works with weak sucklers. Its enough they manage to swallow, they dont need to suckle, to create the vacuum. So this is a way to save quite a few weak kittens, whom later on often manage to suckle good.
But you must be careful and know how to do it - there are some extra danger of getting the fluid into lungs...

However, there is a new method when one a forummember suggested it a year or two ago.
You use a sponge. For example such used in make up. You drench the sponge with formula or goats milk, and let the kitten suckle on it. You held the syringe with the fluid in the other hand, and fill up.
Works nicely for some!
Also, you can swap up some of mommas milk or colostrum with this sponge.

If you can find proper glucose sugar / dextrose, do it. Its useful in many situations. If you cant, honey will do. It contains in half glucose sugar.

Yes, such low weight is difficult, and theoretically probably impossible. At least, if the kitten is sickly.
Yet I have seen it done, even actively helped with coaching...

To tell the truth, both these mentioned did ended tragically. By sheer accidents. The caretakers were so exhausted by the 24/7 in several weeks, so bad accidents did happened.
And thus, they both died, not because they were weak and sickly, but because they were now healthy strong boys...
So be sure the room is totally kitten safe!

But another case with 10(!) premature orphans, ended well. All 10 become healthy adults.The caretaker on top, did everything rightly, including contacting us from the very beginning. It was here I saw the idea of actively using an IR-lamp for the very weak and for prematures.

Yes, a high preg may get diarrheas. Its even quite common a day or two before delivery. I suppose its a way of nature to empty up the bowels.

But they can of course get diarrheas by other reasons too. Being high preg dont protect you from being sick.

There IS some protection by being high preg: the immunity system is sky high, so high prregs tends to not getting colds. So is with women, so is with cats.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The heating pad under half of the nest isn’t a bad idea. Make sure there is room for them to scoot off if they overheat.

How is mom’s health now?

Are you keeping mom 100% inside and away from intact males? She can get pregnant again at any time now.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please furrytails could you give us an. update on mom and the kits?