Litter Box Size

OhlookyyitsCourtney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I am a recent cat owner and got my 4-month-old kitty a covered litter box. I recently noticed that sometimes he would have a small piece of poop stuck onto his fur (he is a shorthair). So I would clean him with a damped paper towel, but he doesn't like it very much. I'm trying to figure out if this is happening because the litter box is too small or if the level of my litter is too high? I filled the litter to about 5cm high and I have noticed that when he uses the litter box sometimes his tail would be all the way outside of the litterbox.

Thanks for all your help!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might be that your litter is slightly too deep (3-4 cm is probably a little better) or it could be that he is finding the covered box a little too cramped. I know my cat prefers litter boxes as big as I can find them (and two at that). I did have a covered box at one point but my boy just had too much trouble turning around or fitting in them; much to my dismay. A way to test is put a second box without a cover and less litter right next to it. See what happens.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kind of food is he eating? I'm wondering if the poop may be just a little sticky, as well. That can happen.