Litter (#1 & #2) and vomiting after getting subQ fluids – should I be concerned?

kkgrx3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat is supposed to get subQ fluids every couple of days or so just to ensure proper hydration since she has diabetes that is not yet controlled and IBD and today after getting some fluids she immediately used the litter box (both #1 and #2) and then vomited. Since then she has seemed pretty normal... she ate some food afterward and then went back to relaxing on the couch with me. She's a little sleepy today, but that's not necessarily abnormal. In the past, she has used the bathroom to defecate immediately after the fluids, it's mainly the addition of the vomiting that has me mildly paranoid.

Do you think this is probably nothing to worry about?

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there any reason I should be concerned? Anything specific I should look out for to make sure that nothing is wrong?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Subcutaneous Fluids – IBDKitties

This article contains a good overview of subQ fluids and it may answer some questions that you have. It also gives some cautions which might not be clear at first, especially if you are new to subQ fluids. I have only ever used lactated ringer solutions and have never experienced vomiting in a dog or cat. Normosol supposedly causes vomiting, but you may not be using that one.

I would let the vet know that the vomiting is occurring. It may not be from the fluids, which means that it is doubly important to bring it to the attention of the vet. You can ask about the solution you are using specifically, and also ask if an anti nausea med would help. Since you are having regular care for your cat, I would think that a phone call might be a good place to start.

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
This is a good source for general information of all kinds about IBD in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkgrx3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I actually read through that page earlier. I'm hoping it is a coincidence and she might have just been feeling nauseous generally because she does get cerenia for nausea as needed and hadn't gotten it yet today. She's had a great day since then and seems to be doing well :)