Literature Map

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This is an interesting site. You put the name of a favorite author in the space and it will give you the names of other authors in that particular genre. The closer the names are to the original author, the closer the writing is to that genre. I have found it very informative and have several authors that I hadn't read before. Please give it a try.

http://www.literature-map.com/

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow that is so cool!! I tried it and there are lots of authors I didn't know about! I am going to look them up now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That IS neat.

However, it put Ernest Hemingway closer to H. Beam Piper than it did Isaac Asimov, so I have some real questions about its accuracy, especially as you get farther from the original author.

It also put J.K. Rowling closer to C.J. Cherryh than it did Terry Pratchett. I would love to see the algorithms it's using!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's cool. I don't agree with some of the "suggestions" or comparisons, but it's the type of site that could be refined over time. It's also a great way to find something new to read!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I broke it.
Apparently no one knows James Tiptree Jr.? Maybe I'll add her in later with a list of similar authors.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool site. I did an experiment typing in "John McWhorter" thinking it would certainly give me "Thomas Sowell"- but it didn't - and I found that surprising.