Liquid Medication

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, while the kittens are dealing with their URI, Possy has developed her own issue. What we thought was a scratch on her eye, turned out to be feline herpes. My vet couldn't get her in last week Wednesday, so we called another local vet who was able to sneak us in and get her checked out. (checked for ulcers/scratch with the dye). Well she ended up giving us the same eye drops the rest of the hooligans (kittens) are on. She didn't make any improvement, so Monday I was able to get her into my vet. She gave her liquid medication (same as the kittens haha), and a much stronger eye drop solution.

Well the eye drops, meh, they are fast and I can get them in her eye before Possy even figures out whats going on. The liquid meds? NOPE. She's a good girl, but anything that we need to do that she doesn't approve of involves a kitty burrito. Well even with the kitty burrito, she is strong enough to fight me and her boyfriend. She won't bite or scratch, but I can't believe how strong she is to be able to move her head out of the way! She's a master squirm-er. The kittens have been dolls when it comes to taking their liquid meds, but Possy is only on day two and my goodness.... And of course its banana flavored. Why banana??

Any advice for giving liquid meds to a cat that just absolutely refuses to cooperate? This morning, she ended up just burying herself into the kitty burrito blanket. Eye drops are no problem because they are fast, but for a 7lb cat she sure can put up a fight when it comes to the liquid meds. I ended up having to scruff her, and my boyfriend was able to hold her head and get most of the medicine in her. At the vet it took three people to hold her still LOL - and this is a cat that ENJOYS the vet's office. Can I mix it with some milk or something? She loves human food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hates bananas so much too that's why its so ironic.... To stop her from jumping on the counters as a kitten, or my workbench, I just put bananas everywhere....:banana2:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check with your vet if it's ok to mix the liquid meds in with food. There usually isn't an issue, though, and IF the meds directions say 'give with or after food' it should be fine to mix it in something extra yummy. Just be sure to use something strong tasting, and a small amount (you need to be sure she eats it all ;) ).

If you need to give it orally, you need to get a bit sneaky. Timing is everything when it comes to cats and meds. Wait till Possy is totally settled and relaxed (or maybe even asleep) somewhere that you feel will give easy access for you.

I'll tend to get my difficult girl on a windowsill, or kneel on the floor when she's in a favourite chair or on the sofa. I'm right handed, so I want my left side closest to her, syringe (ready loaded) in my right hand. I use my body to block backwards motion, and my left hand to block forward motion. Left thumb or index finger eases/encourages the mouth open. Syringe slips just in, aiming diagonally towards the left cheek (NOT the back of the throat - there's a risk of aspiration if you go straight back). Squirt the meds in (if it's only a few mls, it can go in one push; for larger volumes, go in stages, giving her chance to swallow), and you're done :) End with some extra yummy treat to say sorry and get rid of the taste. She might ignore it, but it's good to give her the choice ;)

The key is to be calm but firm about it. Think about how your vet or a vet tech handles Possy - very quiet and calm, but very definite too. There is no question in their mind of IF they can do an exam. It is happening, calmly but firmly, and Possy doesn't get a choice in the matter. Don't think about it going wrong or her getting upset. This needs to be no big deal to you, and it will become no big deal to her.

The two HUGE key points with at-home meds are to be as calm, firm and definite as the vet, and to pick your moment. It's ALWAYS easier if you start with a relaxed kitty ;)

If it all goes pear shaped, walk away, and try again later. Once you start having to chase her it will set up negative energy for both of you. This ISN'T a fight. Don't let Possy turn it into one :)

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi littlesoprano!

There's something that, so far, hasn't been mentioned and that you may not be aware of.......

Anyone who's "giving" any liquid to a cat needs to know that a real potential danger is lurking there.......

Here's a post I wrote to someone else that explains it:
I really........really have to raise and waive the CAUTION FLAG after reading this.

....for any "newbie" who is struggling with all the emotions and frustrations and then with the physical struggle with the cat.....well, that can be a recipe for disaster.

Know and remember that cats are particularly susceptible to Aspiration Pneumonia should they 'breathe in' any liquid [aspirate/choke on]....and, that this is often fatal.

So, NO 'upside down cats' while medicating. Period.

The towel is a wonderful tool...two people can make it easier....use only the side pocket of the mouth (the inside of the cheek) as the target for any liquid (never straight down the throat)...use teensy-tiny amounts of liquids, drops actually...and, remember that the cat can not swallow if the mouth is kept open - so, remove the syringe and hold the mouth closed, gently. One final 'tool' is the reward given afterwards, lots of praise with a treat.

The more relaxed we are, the better. So, for that, take some deep breaths. It gets easier each time.​

This won't help dull the banana flavour, though!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did mention it briefly, in passing ;) :-
Syringe slips just in, aiming diagonally towards the left cheek (NOT the back of the throat - there's a risk of aspiration if you go straight back)
Thanks for going into more detail white shadow white shadow :thumbsup: It's too easy to overlook or understate that aspiration risk (especially when liquid meds have been a routine, daily event in the past).

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you get the med in any flavor other than banana?
I've had some that were bubble gum flavored, obviously tailored for dogs....
I think once, the meds did come chicken flavored.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely aware of the aspiration risk. I always go slow for this reason too.

Took two of us again tonight. She puts up one hell of a fight haha

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your 7lb cat's reaction to her liquid meds reminds me of when my Starbuck was a 6 week old tiny kitten and hated her ear meds. She had ear mites and an ear infection with a URI. Giving her the liquid antibiotic was easy. She absolutely hated the ear wash and ear meds. It took two of us to hold down a screaming 6 week old baby kitten for the ear wash and ear meds. I live in a townhome with shared walls and actually told my neighbors what was happening. I did not want anyone to call the police on us because Starbuck was so loud it sounded like someone was being murdered in our home. I was shocked at how much fight a tiny kitten could put up. Starbuck is now 12 years old.

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure I broke my cat....

This morning, wrapped her up nice and snug in a kitty burrito.... Grabbed the syringe, and she opened her mouth... And quietly took her medicine.... Didn't even have to hold her head still... Fluke right?

This evening, she did the same thing.....

My cat is broken you guys! :hyper:

She even decided to let a certain kitten cuddle with her today for 10 minutes... I am shocked.