Limping/arthritic Symptoms Post-fvrcp Vaccine

Feegsworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I just joined the forum but have found a lot of helpful info here over the years. We're having an issue lately -- one which evidently is brought up on the forum from time to time, but with no clear resolutions. Here's our little man, Feegs.
IMG_0032.jpg

Here's Feegs' issue: He's a 9-year old male orange tabby who just had his first-ever round of FVRCP. He's indoor only, no other animals, so we never felt the need to vaccinate him, but recently since my partner works for the Humane Society and there has been a panleuk outbreak, we gave him a vaccine. Two weeks went by with no problems, but then he began limping on his front left paw, was lethargic, isolated, and had a slight fever. His appetite has reduced by half. The vet assumed it was a soft tissue injury, gave him a intramuscular dose of NSAID, and some oral bupe, and we've kept him in one room so that in case it is an injury he won't re-injure it. After 9 days rest, he's in less pain, but still not quite himself. (We discontinued the buprenex after 4 days, so no meds now.) He's very cautious when walking and seems generally out of balance. He'll walk a few times per day, but generally prefers to be laying down. In fact now it looks like one of his rear legs is bothering him too. This has lead us to believe that it is not an injury but a systemic reaction to something. If this is a delayed reaction to the FVRCP vaccine, what can we expect? What else could have been triggered? He passed a basic neurological test, he doesn't have any URI symptoms, digestion is normal, though reduced by 50%.

Any feedback or referrals to other threads I may have missed would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you. -Matthew

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There have been delayed reactions to vaccines, his does seem to be lasting quite some time though. The calicivirus, which was included in the vaccination, can produce the arthritic symptoms that you describe. When it is the virus itself it usually resolves within a few days though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feegsworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! We plan to bring him again tomorrow to our vet. We're assuming we'll get him an x-ray and bloodwork. Any educated guesses as to what else could cause this besides injury? It's possible that the whole thing has been caused by a soft tissue injury, but it just doesn't seem likely given everything else we've observed. For instance, when the vet palpated throughout his legs, there was no pain response. Feegs was stressed of course, but he didn't flinch. Yet he has a lot of trouble walking. So weird.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats really baby their legs when there's an injury, however they heal quite fast.
The calici form that will cause limping is as advised prior, is a 3 day thing.
I think it's all due to the vaccine. It can take time to see he is back to normal, and should be soon.
Not commonly seen but does happen in some cats.

Jeonjeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! We plan to bring him again tomorrow to our vet. We're assuming we'll get him an x-ray and bloodwork. Any educated guesses as to what else could cause this besides injury? It's possible that the whole thing has been caused by a soft tissue injury, but it just doesn't seem likely given everything else we've observed. For instance, when the vet palpated throughout his legs, there was no pain response. Feegs was stressed of course, but he didn't flinch. Yet he has a lot of trouble walking. So weird.
hello, I just came across your post while looking for an answer what is going on with our cat. we have almost the same symptoms. our vet prescribed some anti-inflammatuar and pain killer.
it’s a long shot since it’s been a very long time, but how was your cat? did he fully recover?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! The OP has not been back to the site since that single post, so I doubt you will get a reply.