Limited Ingredient Wet food

Marty's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I always fed Marty good quality wet food (Wellness). He always has about 90% wet food and a little kibble at night to keep him quiet. At his recent vet visit she felt that he was a bit overweight and put him on Hills Metabolic wet and dry food. He seemed ok on it. Over a three month period he lost .6 kilos. Then he developed a severe allergy to the food. Sores broke out around ears and chin. He was scratching himself crazy. I took him back to the vet and she confirmed it was a food allergy and recommended another type of food. I refused and said I would put him back on “real” food. I found a limited ingredient Merrick wet food - duck and another one - turkey. For kibble I found a GO Solutions Sensitive Insect. This is made with black soldier fly larvae. Has anyone else tried this, did it help. Also any recommendations for wet food would help as well. I am in Canada. Thanks

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also any recommendations for wet food would help as well. I am in Canada. Thanks
I'm in also in Canada, and know a lot of the food available in the US is not available up here.

I found a limited ingredient Merrick wet food - duck and another one - turkey.
I've fed Ruby both the Merrick turkey and Merrick duck food from time to time, and she liked both.

Do you have a Ren's Pets near you? If so, their website shows a lot of Limited Ingredient canned cat foods:
https://www.renspets.com/categories..._sellers&specialty_diet[]=Limited+Ingredients

The only one off that list that I've tried is Natural Balance Duck & green pea, which Ruby wasn't too fond of.

Although the vet's suggestion for a new food wasn't good, there could be veterinary only foods that might be possibilities. When I first adopted Ruby (2013) Royal Canin had a limited ingredient Hypoallergenic duck canned food that Ruby loved and agreed with her system. They eventually discontinued it, replacing it with something similar. I tried it and Ruby wasn't crazy about it, so I didn't buy it again. But it might be a possibility for you:
Feline Selected Protein PD Loaf in Sauce Canned Cat Food ...

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in Canada and my cats are also on limited ingredient food due to one of them likely having an allergy.

The brand FirstMate is made in BC and they make limited ingredient food. Both my cats love their wet food in all flavours (including my super picky cat), it’s my staple food. I feed a tiny bit of their dry too. It can be a bit hard to find in stores though so you’d probably want to use the store finder on their website if you decide to try it. They also sell big 12oz cans which is very convenient if you feed a lot of wet food.

I have also been experimenting with Rawz as of late. My picky girl isn’t the biggest fan thus far but my boy eats it happily. It seems to be a very high quality food, and is single protein, but is pricey and also hard to find in stores where I am. I order mine online.

I personally wouldn’t feed that Go! food, the weirdness of the bugs aside, it is packed with peas and lentils, which a lot of us here avoid.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello. I always fed Marty good quality wet food (Wellness). He always has about 90% wet food and a little kibble at night to keep him quiet. At his recent vet visit she felt that he was a bit overweight and put him on Hills Metabolic wet and dry food. He seemed ok on it. Over a three month period he lost .6 kilos. Then he developed a severe allergy to the food. Sores broke out around ears and chin. He was scratching himself crazy. I took him back to the vet and she confirmed it was a food allergy and recommended another type of food. I refused and said I would put him back on “real” food. I found a limited ingredient Merrick wet food - duck and another one - turkey. For kibble I found a GO Solutions Sensitive Insect. This is made with black soldier fly larvae. Has anyone else tried this, did it help. Also any recommendations for wet food would help as well. I am in Canada. Thanks
This is made with black soldier fly larvae.
Yuk… I would never feed my cats that…😲

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marty's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-honestly, this is what I feed my Betta fish.

Can you get him involved in more exercise?
Hi - I play with him twice a day am/pm. It is what to feed him while his skin clears up from this allergy. I will put him back on the Wellness once he his skin/scratching has stopped

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agreeing with Biomehanika Biomehanika on this! Here are the first ingredients:
dried black soldier fly larvae, peas, lentils, whole dried egg, tapioca, pea flour, chickpeas,

I can't help but agree with Go! that dried black soldier fly larvae make for a very novel protein. But peas, lentils, tapioca, pea flour (this is double peas!), plus chickpeas just aren't good for cats, it's a lot of carbs, not ideal for a cat with allergy problems.

P.S. I just have to add that though the bug larvae thing sounds really gross, one of our cats is a huge bug hunter and would probably love a bug-based food!

Last edited:

Genevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Canadian here! I'm introducing my cats to PureVita Limited Ingredients wet food. So far, the turkey entrée is a hit with both my cats! It's available on Petonly and on Canadian Pet Connection online :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did the Merrick LID for Lily when we were sorting her allergy out.
I tried the natural balance one and she wouldn't touch it. It's also pea based which the peas could be your cats allergy.

Instinct has some LID wet foods and I'd recommend their dry food to you over Go!
Go! Has a lot of peas and legumes which matches with the food she had the allergic reaction to.

Instinct dry food would be better to clear up the allergy and could be what you'll feed long term.

If you can give the dry food through some sort of movement based enrichment and feed based on the calories per cup of the bag rather than the food recommend by the bag, you'll have an easier time with her weight loss journey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marty's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will look at Instinct. I prefer wet food over dry. I usually just give him 1/8 cup kibble at night to keep him quiet until morning.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. I will look at Instinct. I prefer wet food over dry. I usually just give him 1/8 cup kibble at night to keep him quiet until morning.
I understand. It's the same for me.

For wet I rotate through a few that have no peas or legumes and have minimal ingredients. But I think you and I have a difference of opinion on what's considered "healthy" so I won't worry about leaving further wet food recommendations. PetSmart and Ren's Pets both have good selections for LIDs though if you take a wander through those.

If you don't already, try using a treat ball for the dry food. That helped Nobel to lose weight.