Lily flower scare, no signs of ingestion but still worried

baztien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My parents have a lovely 11 year old cat who's mostly indoor but usually gets some afternoon outside time where she roams around our front and backyard. I don't live with them but I visit very often and I consider her to be my cat as well, she just can't live with me for a multitude of reasons. Back in May, my parents brought back a bouquet that had stargazer lilies in it. I didn't know much about lily toxicity but in the back of my mind remembered that they could be dangerous, so after some googling, I was reminded of how unsafe they are and immediately moved them into a different room. My parents also had day lilies growing in their front yard. Long story short, while we've never seen her consume anything, I definitely panicked and got rid of the bouquet, and dug out the day lilies and tried to wash down the concrete right next to it. I also took her to the vet so they could run bloodwork and check her kidneys. I had to fly back home but I reminded my parents that going forward, no lilies should be in or around the house. My parents didn't necessarily agree and tend to be of the mindset that they've had lilies around for her whole life and she's been fine (to which my response is that we've just been lucky so far).

Fast forward to last week, I saw there was a flower arrangement they put outside by a statue and I asked my mom if there were lilies in it - she said no. Last night however, I walked to the side of the house to close our garage and to my surprise, saw easter lilies nestled in the jasmine plant they have, about 5 feet up. I was really confused because I've never seen lilies in that spot so I asked my dad and he told me it was from the arrangement. I once again panicked, because they're blooming, which means the pollen would be an issue despite the plant itself being out of reach.

This morning I put on long sleeves and gloves, pulled the plant out into a garbage bag, and threw it away. Should I also wash down the concrete floor below it? I don't think our hose reaches that far but maybe I could take some dish soap in a large cup and rinse it. Or would that potentially spread any pollen? I will absolutely admit I get quite worked up about our cat's safety, but I feel extra defeated because we went through this ordeal already during the early summer, and I feel so bummed that my parents let this happen when they could've easily removed the lilies to begin with.

I guess my question is mainly about the pollen since I don't think there's any way she could get to the flowers or leaves. I inspected the floor below and don't see anything but of course it's outdoor concrete so it's not like it's a clean, plain surface. If anyone read this whole thing, I appreciate it!

Attachments

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO (and I'm no expert) I think it will be okay. I understand your concern, as I am the person, along with DH, who dug up a beautiful rare Clematis at midnight because the stray kittens were chewing on it. Chewing on it! We were horrified! We never dreamed they would do such a thing. (They were fine, BTW. The ring leader of the bunch is asleep in the bedroom now.)

I would run it by the vet to be on the safe side. I completely understand where you are coming from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baztien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, good for you! And thanks for relating - I'm often made out to feel like I'm overreacting but I figured this would be a good place to find likeminded cat owners. I did want to remove the lilies last night, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to see clearly in the dark. I'd need a headlamp!

She does have a checkup for bloodwork and urine tests in a week so maybe I can ask for them to make sure the kidneys are checked.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I e seen cats die from just walking through the pollen. I would take some buckets of water and rinse down where they were.

baztien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know the context for those cases? Was it a large or small amount of pollen?

And would water on its own suffice or should I add in some dish soap? No idea if that would help

baztien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if it was a visible amount or not, I really couldn't see anything but regardless I haven't let her out today and won't until I'm able to rinse.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, Casper, who goes outside frequently. In warmer weather, he lives for his outdoor adventures. If I keep him inside against his will, he resorts to terrorist attacks (peeing on every vertical surface in sight) to make his displeasure known.

In my own and several neighboring yards are day lilies (they're an invasive species that spreads itself). No true lilies; just day lilies. Day lilies and true lilies are actually not particularly closely related to each other. Their flowers are similar in appearance, but their stems and the arrangement of their foliage are very different. You can easily find photos online to see how different in appearance these plants are.

My question is whether anyone here has known cats to be poisoned from exposure to day lilies as opposed to true lilies? The internet, for the most part, says both are dangerous. I'm convinced that true lilies are terrible for cats. I'm not quite as convinced about day lilies, but I obviously don't want to find out that I'm wrong by seeing Casper get kidney failure from eating them. I have no problem trying to eradicate day lilies from my yard, but making changes to my neighbors' landscaping would probably not be possible (these are not people who would care that day lilies might be toxic to cats).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
but I obviously don't want to find out that I'm wrong by seeing Casper get kidney failure from eating them.
This would make me nervous and, like you, I would not want to find out the hard way. If these grown invasively in your area, I wonder if your vet has any information about this, or if he has seen cases.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Lily plants in two pots in my yard.

I have two indoor only cats (I walk them out on the leash), and three outdoor cats.

In the summer 2021, while in the yard on the leash, one of my indoor cats happened to eat two leaves from one of the plants. I rushed her to the clinic, the vets made her throw up (it was an hour after the incident) and they run a complete blood work. My cat was hospitalized for one night, then she was rechecked a week later. All was good, but what a scare!
I got rid of the pots the following day.

The outdoor cats never chewed on the leaves, but in the flower season the pollen was all around the pots and one of the black outdoor cats had lots of yellow powder on his coat, probably by rolling on the ground. He never had a problem. He had a blood work recently, he's fine years later.

Don't know what to say.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This would make me nervous and, like you, I would not want to find out the hard way. If these grown invasively in your area, I wonder if your vet has any information about this, or if he has seen cases.
I have asked my vet about day lilies, and she has never seen a case of one poisoning a cat. I know that pretty much all the veterinary web sites say that day lilies are toxic to cats. However, I do not believe there has ever been a controlled study on this topic (I am not suggesting one; feeding day lilies to cats to see if they die would not be ethical).

There have been observational studies in which researchers compiled statistics from veterinary records. The problem with that approach is that it relies on the client and/or veterinarian to correctly identify the plant. Day lily flowers look a lot like true lily flowers, but the foliage looks very different. I suspect that there is a lot of misidentification going on. If someone gives you a bouquet of flowers that includes a true lily, do you know that it is a true lily? Maybe you just tell the vet that it is a lily after your cat gets sick from eating it, or the bouquet only includes the flower (not the foliage), which matches the day lilies in your yard, so you (incorrectly) tell the vet that it is a day lily.

The reason I care about this is that it is easy to keep my cats away from true lilies. They don't grow wild where I live, and I'll (obviously) never bring one home. But day lilies are all over the place. They are basically weeds. A few times each year, one of my indoor/outdoor cats vomits something that looks like a blade of grass, but could be the tip of a day lily leaf. The veterinary websites tell me that I should then make an emergency vet appointment and have my vet induce vomiting. That is a big ordeal for nothing if day lilies are not actually toxic (or at least not seriously toxic) to cats.

This is not a scientific study, but it is one of the sources that has made me wonder: