Library Cards

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to leave Mooch at the vet for an enema this afternoon (she's feeling so much better now; but poor Moochie!) so instead of going home my kids and I went to the library that is in the same shopping center. I never updated my library card when I got married 14 years ago. So all 3 of us got library cards today. The kids were so excited. :lol:

I homeschool so you'd think we would visit all the time; but my DS has always been noise in motion so I felt uncomfortable bringing him. DD is easy; well behaved but DS never had patience for stories until I learned he prefers non-fiction. The vet's office was busy so we had sat there a long time just waiting to be seen (which is unusual) and then we were at the library for a while. DS was so DONE with being shushed! He needed to move!

So next on my agenda is teaching library skills; how to lookup a book, how to find it on the shelves. Library etiquette. That sort of thing. My mother takes them from time to time; but things have changed since I visited any library regularly. I read a lot on my Kindle and they look at books on theirs; but the library has so many tools we can use for school. I also found out the have an educator program we are eligible for that will allow us to sign things out for longer. I think we can sign out more titles at once too.

DS chose 2 books about raccoons and DD chose 2 early reader story books. I didn't even get a chance to look for anything myself since I couldn't leave the kids in the Children's library. Maybe next trip! These 2 mom's came in with about 5 little girls between them. My social flirt of a 5 year old kept -loudly- trying to get these adorable little girls to come watch him put on a puppet show but they were all into their books. He looked at me and said "Everyone is just reading." like he was very puzzled by that. :paperbag::doh:

So what is your favorite resource at the library? Books? Audio books? Movies? It looks like they have some lectures and things at this library too. I know I can use the card at any library in the county. I feel like I have to learn to use the library again. :oops:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't been to the library in years. I do borrow audiobooks from the library to listen to while working but I use the library website to borrow them.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles:

I have not been to the library in years. When I used to go I would check out mystery books and when my nephews were little I would check out movies for them. I like DS choice of books. I love raccoons.

I hope poor little Mooch is feeling better.

Muffy

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My library card is good in the whole county also and I have had it since I was a little kid. I used to be a regular at the library, but now I rarely go and buy books from Amazon instead.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a library card in one form or another for a good 50 years or so. Now, I have a card, plus the smaller chip card that I keep on my car ring. It gets me into any library in Pennsylvania.

It's only been within the past five years or so that I started using a Nook (and now my Ipad) for library books. I still hit the library from time to time and I don't see me ever not taking advantage of my local library. The nice thing about using our physical library is that the number of books I can take is unlimited; using Overdrive on my Nook only gives me five ebooks at a time. I'm a very avid reader and it's nothing for me to take 10-15 books out of the library at one time.

I only take books; I've never taken a DVD or music or anything other than books.

(I'm so glad Mooch is feeling better!)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The local libraries here have a lot more than just books: Now available at your local library: non-books - The Boston Globe Some even have baking pans and sewing machines you can borrow.

Libraries are turning more into just a place to borrow books and stuff. Many offer classes or have just become a gathering place for people to come by and work together on something like crafts. Local libraries are now gathering places, and not just for books - The Boston Globe

I've only ever taken out books and DVDs from the library.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many libraries are trying to be more welcoming to children so your son may not have to shushed. They made the local library's kids' section a "no-shush" zone :D. Maybe you can find one like that near you. It can really turn a kid off reading if he gets "in trouble" every time he goes to the library.

I haven't been to the library in years, except for baby showers in the community room, lol. There's so much reading material online that I don't need to go. But when I was a kid I practically lived there.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Pre-internet, I practically lived at our library. I always had a list of research questions I wanted answered and could spend hours looking things up about health, plants, history, whatever. Now I do all that online and buy books from Amazon.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I took a couple of bags of books to the library to donate, and got a new card while I was there--it had been so long since I'd used it, I couldn't find my original card. But I admit I haven't been back to look around. Do they still use the Dewey decimal system to organize books? :lol:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad to say, our libraries are now mostly computers and not many books. I think they even have a 3-D printer. Although the local building is reasonably large, I'll bet the books would only fill a modest room. I haven't checked out a book there in years. Our county/city library system is connected, so I could get a book from any library in the system.

I miss the old library filled with huge adventures just waiting for the taking. E-readers just aren't the same. I love the feel of a book in my hands. Besides, if you drop a book, even in water, it's likely to survive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch is feeling MUCH better. She ate a good breakfast this morning.
Many libraries are trying to be more welcoming to children so your son may not have to shushed. They made the local library's kids' section a "no-shush" zone :D. Maybe you can find one like that near you. It can really turn a kid off reading if he gets "in trouble" every time he goes to the library.
I think the library in the next town over has their children's room in the basement. It's downtown and I never go that way so I haven't stopped. The town where my Mom lives; about half an hour away, just built a huge new library. I need to check out their set up.
Do they still use the Dewey decimal system to organize books? :lol:
It looks like it to me! The children's library was divided into fiction, non fiction and "easy reading." I noticed some of the ones in the easy reading section just had a code like "DISN" for he Disney books, etc. But the other books have the Dewey decimal codes.

I loved my Elementary school's library when I was a kid. I would volunteer there once a week when I was old enough. We'd help put books away mostly; but I loved looking. And just the quiet atmosphere of books! Now I'm wondering if one of the librarians will help me teach the kids how to use the library. :lol: I did have to sign a statement saying they can have limited access to the internet. I saw you get access after scanning your card.

I have heard some libraries host things like lego club or things like that. I'm hoping the local ones do at least. For a homeschooler that sounds like another great resource. I think it's too early in the year for things to be posted. Our public schools start around Labor day but I start us earlier so we can take more days off during the year. ;)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pre-internet, I practically lived at our library. I always had a list of research questions I wanted answered and could spend hours looking things up about health, plants, history, whatever. Now I do all that online and buy books from Amazon.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I took a couple of bags of books to the library to donate, and got a new card while I was there--it had been so long since I'd used it, I couldn't find my original card. But I admit I haven't been back to look around. Do they still use the Dewey decimal system to organize books? :lol:
Yes! I am a library cataloger. Some libraries uses other systems, but Dewey is pretty common.

For those who haven't been in libraries for years, you really need to check out your local library! Things have dramatically changed! We've entered the digital age; we are not just books any more. We offer many free services and programs. Please support your local library. Libraries are important, yet our funding is the first thing to be cut at State level, often in shocking amounts: 20%, or even 40+%. We operate on a shoestring, yet our staff are so dedicated to providing services. Libraries can and do change lives.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Your librarians should be happy to show you how to use the library, especially the children's staff (BTW, most of the staff probably are not librarians. To have that title, normally [the exception used to be school librarians, but that's changing] you must have a Master of Library Science Degree ("MLS"). I don't have one, so I'm a Library Assistant III, but, often, catalogers are required to have the MLS degree.

Juvenile books are often separated by juvenile and juvenile easy (reading), by age group. jE [easy] is usually for toddlers+a couple of years. This often includes board books, picture books, and very easy to read non-fiction. Our library also has a YA (Young Adult) area for teens. Sometimes YA can overlap with Adult, and be used both ways, both fiction and non-fiction.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The local libraries here have a lot more than just books: Now available at your local library: non-books - The Boston Globe Some even have baking pans and sewing machines you can borrow.

Libraries are turning more into just a place to borrow books and stuff. Many offer classes or have just become a gathering place for people to come by and work together on something like crafts. Local libraries are now gathering places, and not just for books - The Boston Globe

I've only ever taken out books and DVDs from the library.
I've cataloged realia: cake pans, canvas bags, museum passes (you can borrow these for free for a limited period). I just cataloged an O, Baby fabric cutter for quilters!

And for those who worry that modern libraries have very few books nowadays--we still have mostly books! I, too, love the sensation of holding a book and reading it. I don't have an e-reader, although I plan to start writing e-books for Amazon soon. Trust me, we still have a LOT of books for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your librarians should be happy to show you how to use the library, especially the children's staff (BTW, most of the staff probably are not librarians. To have that title, normally [the exception used to be school librarians, but that's changing] you must have a Master of Library Science Degree ("MLS"). I don't have one, so I'm a Library Assistant III, but, often, catalogers are required to have the MLS degree.
One of my high school friends is now a Librarian. It surprised me how much education she was required to get! But she seems to love the job.

No one had a name tag on at the library so I don't know how I'd distinguish one person from another. I suppose I'll figure it out if I do go sign up for the educator program. There is a rumor going around that it won't be continued this year. The state cut the budget for the Teacher's Centers completely out. I suspect they also saw a budget cut.

Our friend's wife actually worked at this library for many years but left her job to stay home with their 4 kids last winter. She may be willing to meet up there after the new school year starts.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't been to the library for myself in many years. DD and I both have cards but we don't use them. I think the last time we went, she needed to get something for school. I think she was in high school at the time so maybe 5 years ago? I don't see myself going anytime soon.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Like many others mentioned I haven't visited our local library in quite a few years. The closest one was under renovation for a year and it's now completed. We do receive a library newsletter in the mail which lists all types of info, e.g. book discussions, a variety of programs, speakers, etc. I plan to sign up for a program on "60's Girl Bands." it sounds like fun.

When VCR's were around we would rent videos from the library because they were free with a library card. If we want to watch a movie now we can just do it On Demand through cable. When my kids were young we would visit the library on a regular basis and they loved it. We would frequent different libraries within a 10 mile radius and they would each have their favorite one. We also would go to the annual library book sales. One upscale library about 20 min. from us has a welcoming coffee lounge/cafe where you can sip your favorite brew while checking out a book or two.