Letting Dad Cat Stay Near Pregnant Mom Cat

Amaya7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to this site, but not new to cat pregnancy. I fostered pregnant queens and abandoned kittens for my animal shelter for years.
Recently my 15 year old Japanese bobtail passed away and I was looking to adopt another bobtail breed. Friday I met a lady who's mother just passed and they were rehoming her two bobtails, a male and a female. Neither were fixed but they swore the female wasn't pregnant. Well I could tell she was pregnant the minute I looked at her, but I took them in anyway and will keep the kittens too.
Okay, here's the problem. She's about 6 weeks and I already scheduled her mate's appointment to be neutered this week. But they are extremely attached. He is about 3 years old and she is about 1. They get very anxious when I separate them and I don't want to cause her any more stress, but I also know male cats have been known to attack kittens. I'm worried what will happen if I'm not there to supervise the birth. Right now they're both in my master bathroom, cuddling in the birthing box. Should I just separate them?

Thank you so much if you read all that!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is not neutered then you need to monitor it very closely and if there are problems that arise or he starts to stress her out then he needs to be removed. Getting him neutered will lower the chances of aggression towards the kittens but male hormones can stay in their system for quite some time after the procedure.
Some males do very well with kittens, others do not. It depends on the individual.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, go ahead and get him neutered now. It can take up to a month for him to no longer be fertile.

You'll want to play it by ear when she has the kittens. She will probably let him know if she does not want him around.

When she gets into her last week, you should separate them whenever you will not be there to supervise.

Many males who are bonded will co-parent in a kindly way, but do not assume this automatically.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amaya7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! I already called the vet Saturday to set up his neuter but the earliest appointment I was able to get was Wednesday. So I guess I'll keep her in the master bathroom with the door shut and only let him near her when I'm here.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As they are friends, he is no real danger to the kittens. He wont attack them. The danger is, many adult cats are afraid of small kittens - they dont know what it is - he he may swipe in PURE selfdefence... So accidents may happen, but no vicious attacks. That is why the first meeting or two after delivery must be superwised.

So, if she shows she wants him near, you can let him be near. Definitely before delivery, but probably also after. Otherwise, is she doesnt wants him near, or you notice she is stressed or irritated by him being near, you do of course separate and isolate them, however he meows.

Another danger is of course the obvious: she may get pregnant literally a week after the delivery. Cats arent protected by nursing, unlike humans whom are somewhat protected. This is the main reason we recommend a neutering asap as you can arrange it.

Toms attacking kittens and shaking them to death is no myth, but its mainly unknown toms, whom are coming in as new conquerors into the area. I presume territorial, dominating toms are much more dangerous here than docile, friendly toms.

Why, I once read a british scientist in cat behavior, write the usage of cat females to let them be mated by all toms being there - even if they were 10 - is for protection of kittens. Them "knowing" her, wont no longer attack her kittens, because they know the momma (and are potentially the father presumely).

So we see, the acquistance doesnt even be really deep to work as protection.

A tom or stud, whom is very good friend with momma, wont attack the kittens - biological father or not. Such a male will often be a co-parent or at least, a well wishing uncle.

Last edited:

Amaya7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
This is so bizarre, so evidently she was farther along than expected because she gave birth at some point last night/this morning. I don't know if she kicked dad out of the birthing box or if he just got freaked out but he was huddled on the counter when I went in and she had 4 kittens in the box. Of course I immediately removed him since he's not getting fixed until tomorrow, but she seems perfectly content without him anyway. Thank you everyone for your advice!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! He will still be fertile for a month after surgery, so they'll need to be separated for a while.

How are the babies? Do you have their weights?

Amaya7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The babies are good! She's still cleaning them and they're suckling really well. Even though I only adopted her Friday, she's still letting me pet her and clean her box. Three of the babies are girls with tails, the fourth is a bobtail boy :) They weighed 3.3, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.8 ounces.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are good weights! :)

He may just have been freaked out by the process. Regardless, it's good they are separated now and he's getting neutered.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, good birthing weight. Good you are weighting them. Its easier in grammes, but still, we are use to re-calculate the OZ. :)

I was a little worried they may be premature, if she delivered before you thouought it was time. but the weight and your description hints they are fully borne, full term ones... :)