Let allergies run course or help with topical?

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month kitten has had some mild missing fur on the top of the head and back of ears from scratching. I suspect it's a sensitivity or allergy so I've changed out cleaning products and doing a novel protein diet which I know can take several weeks/months for former allergen to leave the system.

My question is, should I be using a topical to help the fur grow back in the meantime/help with the itching? I have Vetericyn facial (hypochlorous acid dilution) but I don't know if that will mask whether it's getting any better, or if its the way to go as the vet would just prescribe steroid anyhow?

Thanks in advance

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What is your primary goal - to stop the itching? If so, just use chamomile tea - standard grocery store variety tea bags, which are most always German, you don't want English and no additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth, a few times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should your kitten ingest any of it. The fur will grow back eventually one way or the other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. What is your primary goal - to stop the itching? If so, just use chamomile tea - standard grocery store variety tea bags, which are most always German, you don't want English and no additives or flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth, a few times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is considered an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should your kitten ingest any of it. The fur will grow back eventually one way or the other.
I feel bad that my kitten is still itching but I'm afraid that if I treat it topically it will mask whether or not the changes I am making is making a difference if that makes sense?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel bad that my kitten is still itching but I'm afraid that if I treat it topically it will mask whether or not the changes I am making is making a difference if that makes sense?
I don't think the chamomile tea bag treatment will mask anything, but it should help with the itchiness.

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think the chamomile tea bag treatment will mask anything, but it should help with the itchiness.
Btw curious if you have ever heard of Vetericyn or anything like it? (diluted hypochlorous acid)
Amazon.com : Vetericyn Plus Feline Antimicrobial Facial Therapy. to Care for Cat Acne, Cuts, Mouth Sores, and Irritated Eyes and Ears on Cats of All Ages. Non-Toxic and Safe if Ingested. (2 oz) : Pet Supplies

I did try it initially which helped but the itching/missing fur came back when i stopped it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, unfortunately I don't know anything about that product. You know - if you are concerned about using it while your cat is being treated otherwise, you could ask the vet if they think it would mask anything. Just to see what they say, and if all they come back with is to suggest a steroid, tell them that is not what you asked!!!

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, unfortunately I don't know anything about that product. You know - if you are concerned about using it while your cat is being treated otherwise, you could ask the vet if they think it would mask anything. Just to see what they say, and if all they come back with is to suggest a steroid, tell them that is not what you asked!!!
Lol man that’s actually why I’m looking to see another vet atm. Mine doesn’t really seem open to any other way but hers and I don’t want to offend her by offering up alternatives. I’m not sure if I should just switch to a cat only clinic instead

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet (and his dad) of over 30 years is receptive to my ideas/thoughts/suggestions. And, if he weren't it would be 'bye-bye'. That's a shame about your vet. I'd say the product you have used would be OK, but anything with the word 'acid' in it bothers me.

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet (and his dad) of over 30 years is receptive to my ideas/thoughts/suggestions. And, if he weren't it would be 'bye-bye'. That's a shame about your vet. I'd say the product you have used would be OK, but anything with the word 'acid' in it bothers me.
Yeah this is the first and only vet I've seen so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try someone else
Btw is there a certain brand you might recommend hopefully off of Amazon or Target? I saw another comment saying German tea is medicinal and English is toxic but I can't seem to differentiate between the two based on the descriptions

Bigelow Cozy Chamomile Herbal Tea Bags - 20ct

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND51YPC/?tag=thecatsite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe Bigelow is just fine. But, if you order off Target, you could use any basic brand they offer as well.

EDIT: Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 is the expert when it comes to this, and I believe she says generally any grocery store variety is German.

Last edited:

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise