late pregnancy and bleeding?

kittydad1667

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i don’t know if i’m being overly anxious or what, but im really worried abt my pregnant cat. she’s been licking her area a lot for about a week now. sometimes when she sits for awhile and stands back up she leaves a blood stain. it isnt super dark red but it’s definitely not pink. i think shes 68 days into her pregnancy at this point. shes been drinking a lot. still eating but definitely not as much as she was when she was in her early stages. her stomach has also definitely dropped. ive been waiting for her to give birth but she isnt even trying or anything, no panting or contractions at all. does this sound normal or should i be worried? is she just going to give birth soon??? i have a nest set up and she goes there sometimes, and while she was pregnant she used to sleep in there all the time, but she hasnt really been in there at all for the past week shes been acting weird. she goes in there for a second and comes right back out to sleep on my bed. she also meows a little sometimes, but she doesnt sound like shes in pain or distress or anything. she just seems to want attention and cuddles a lot more. this also isnt her first pregnancy. pls let me know if this is normal or if i should be worried!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
68 days with vaginal bleeding and no signs of labor is a definite vet emergency. She may have dystocia, which is an inability to have strong enough contractions to birth a kitten, or she may have a dead kitten in the birth canal blocking the delivery of live kittens, or she may have a uterus that is disintegrating and no longer holding the pregnancy.

As much as I hate to sound the alarm, it’s time to get her to a vet to see what’s going on. She may need a shot of oxytocin to stimulate labor, or she may already need a C-section to remove both deceased and live kittens.

The licking with red blood is not a good sign. Get vet help immediately!

Please keep us posted! K kittydad1667

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bring her to the vet to ensure there's nothing medically wrong. She may need a c-section.