Lack Of Energy In Recently Rescued 8 Wk Kitten

Julie356

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Last Saturday, my significant other and I rescued a kitten that crossed our path out on the streets. We live in Beirut, Lebanon and took her to a vet at the first opportunity (on Monday morning). The vet confirmed she was around 8 weeks old, was very dehydrated, but was not running a fever. The vet gave her deworming medication, as well as an antibiotic in case she had any bacterial infections.

When we first rescued her, she had very liquidy diarrhea. After getting the deworming medication (she def had worms, I checked her stool), her stool started to firm up and she was putting on some weight. She was eating (wet food) whenever she was awake and we were giving her pedialyte to help aid in her rehydration.

We thought that she had turned a corner, but as of today, she is down by about 50g and the diarrhea has returned. Plus, she doesn't seem very interested in food. My biggest concern, however, is that she seems to have no energy. This has been the case since we rescued her. She is interested in sleeping and eating (mostly) when she is awake. During the couple of days when she seemed to be feeling better, she started exploring our apartment a little bit. But she has never been playful...no matter what we try, we can't get her to engage in any playing. I'm worried that she has an underlying illness. Or is it possible this is just because she is recovering from malnourishment?

In either case, what is recommended? Should I get a vet to run some tests (since we are in Lebanon, the veterinary care is not the same as in the US or Europe)? Or should I give her more time to recover? Thanks in advance!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the medication that is making her lethargic. The diarrhea could be from the change in food. You could give the vet a ring and ask his advice just to put your mind at rest.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin with giving her fluids with salts and dextrose sugar.
If you can get pedialyte for children, its good.

Otherwise you can make your own. Use for example bottled minerale water (see on the label there are lotsa of different salts). Half this minerale water, half common boiled water. You add some honey, so its barely sweet.
Honey does contain much dextrose sugar.

You can also smear honey sweatened water on her lips and gum - gives quick energy as dextrose sugar goes direclty into blood already in mouth.

Be sure she is warm and comfortable. You may need some heating pad. You can massage her limbs and body...

She cant play, she is too weak. All her energy goes into barely keeping alive.

I hope she isnt serious ill, but she is surely exhausted. She may also have some other parasites, alike coccidia.
If so, she will need medicines for it. Albon is the most usually used, ponazuril is even stronger.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These parasites, coccidia or giardia, are often not visible on the usual testings. But they are fairly common in rescued homeless cats. so if you have a vet whom can help you with proper medication, talk with him about them.

Can you get raw goats milk? It has a nice edge over many other foods. WHAT food are you giving her for now?

Otherwise, some mild youghurt is good. Youghurt good also when you get antibiotica and dewormers. Its so for humans, probably also for cats.

J Julie356

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, how is your kitten doing? I agree with Stefan that the kitten might have other parasites that would require albon or metronidazole to cure the diarrhea. When she is well and strong again she will play.