Knowing When To Progress With New, Shy Kitten

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Grey is becoming interested in Honey. Hissing, swatting, and growling are all ways of communicating. If he's not hurting himself by banging into the door let him get close. Hopefully he'll get a sniff and decide he's more interested than scared in a few days or a week. Maybe then you can advance to baby gate or door cracked enough to sniff noses or clawless swats.

If he does get worked up do what you did the first time, coax him away or get in his eye site. Touching, even gently, or lifting him could upset him more.

It does sound like the intro is moving forward. Let yourself relax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!

I will try to relax a bit. I guess it's normal for there to be ~some~ hissing, after all they are cats.

I think I'll just keep feeding him like usual with the small extra meal at night. And just let them do their thing and get used to each other through the door with food. :)

Cant wait til they are together and can freely use all the space, but of course I can't rush it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, yesterday during a site swap little Honey darted into the bedroom with Grey cat. But, it went really well, so I rolled with it. He didn't show aggression but let her know to keep her distance, and she did. I helped her a little with toys when she got kittenish impulses to follow him. They got more relaxed as the night went on.

Today they are even better. Honey is respecting his space and he's being so patient. Body language is good she doesn't care at all about him and is curious but he is still a little bit more wary of her. But I saw them sniff noses today! And he let her eat leftovers out of his bowl when he was two feet away laying down and looked the other way.

Still separating them at night but I'm so proud of my kitties for being so good <3
IMG_20180804_160710.jpg