Know what this could be? 18 year old indoor cat has this on her back.

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
18 year old indoor
IMG-20210111-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210111-WA0000.jpg
cat has this small growth on her back. Doesn't seem to bother her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Sorry no one has responded yet. While you wait for some members to come along with their ideas, will your vet accept pics? I would send one to them and see if they have any ideas. I would say it could be some sort of a cyst, papilloma (a kind of wart), fatty tumor, or a skin tag type growth. Papillomas can resemble the look of chewing gum and that is kind of what that looks like to me.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had a 17-year old that had these as well. I showed them to the vet and they said to just keep an eye on them in case they were growing, it basically like a skin tag. Sadly he passed away 2 years ago on the 17th but they never caused him any issues. he had 3 of them in different places. i would still show your vet but they look exactly like what Theodore had. Hopefully, it is!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure it's a fat cyst. It should be nothing to worry about. My cat had lots of them, regularly. I had three of them removed and tested, just in case, and they always came back negative.
Sometimes they disappear on their own after a few days/weeks.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. Sorry no one has responded yet. While you wait for some members to come along with their ideas, will your vet accept pics? I would send one to them and see if they have any ideas. I would say it could be some sort of a cyst, papilloma (a kind of wart), fatty tumor, or a skin tag type growth. Papillomas can resemble the look of chewing gum and that is kind of what that looks like to me.
Very kind of you to reply. I do not think it is worth putting her through the trauma of a vet appt. She spends her days happily sleeping on my 96 yr old Dad's lap😍

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets will tell you to keep an eye on them and contact them if they grow larger in a short period of time. if they develop slowly, there is usually no harm. At 18 I wouldn't subject her to the stress of a vet either. if she seems in pain, or it bothers her that is a different story, but if it doesn't, it is just something we all get and develop as we get older!

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most vets will tell you to keep an eye on them and contact them if they grow larger in a short period of time. if they develop slowly, there is usually no harm. At 18 I wouldn't subject her to the stress of a vet either. if she seems in pain, or it bothers her that is a different story, but if it doesn't, it is just something we all get and develop as we get older!
Thank you for your time and for ryour reassurances.

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your time and for your reassurances.

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your time and for your reassurances.

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am pretty sure it's a fat cyst. It should be nothing to worry about. My cat had lots of them, regularly. I had three of them removed and tested, just in case, and they always came back negative.
Sometimes they disappear on their own after a few days/weeks.
Thanks very much for that info.

PatG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had a 17-year old that had these as well. I showed them to the vet and they said to just keep an eye on them in case they were growing, it basically like a skin tag. Sadly he passed away 2 years ago on the 17th but they never caused him any issues. he had 3 of them in different places. i would still show your vet but they look exactly like what Theodore had. Hopefully, it is!
Wow! Thanks very much. This site and you responders are fabulous.