Know Us, Love Us . . . Southern Kitties

LizBethW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi from NC. I wanted to get in our introduction while I have some time. I have 2 cats: Claire (11 yrs) and Penny (9 yrs.) We adopted them 8 years ago after our 22 yr Russian Blue died of stomach cancer. My husband said he didn’t know if we were ready (emotionally) for another cat. I said no, we might not be, but there were some cats at the shelter ready for us. So we all came together.

Both were “street” kitties brought into the shelter, but, despite horrible beginnings, they have never, ever, scratched, bit, clawed furniture, jumped on anything other than their kitty condos, went outside the litter box or tried to run out a door. We could not ask for better kitty cats.

Penny is 14 lbs, very long, a bit high strung, but a complete lover. You can pick her up, flip her on her back like a baby, rub her stomach, and she’ll go to sleep in minutes. She’ll also sit in your lap all night until you have to put her off because she’s so warm. I laugh that she’s a Southern Baptist cat because she baptizes every new toy in their fountain.

Claire wants attention on her terms which means you don’t pick her up, and you consider yourself blessed if she jumps in your lap. You can pet her, but do it her way. She’s only 8 lbs, but clearly knows she is superior to Penny. She’s extremely smart. She’s also dying. She has oral cancer. I didn’t want to believe it, so I took her to a second vet who confirmed. He said 3 months was optimistic, and we’ve had 2 so far.

I’m sure I’ll be writing more as it gets closer, I just wanted you to meet us while we’re still together.

Thanks for reading about us! :wave3:

Attachments

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Your cats are beautiful! So glad y'all adopted them. Just gotta love our cats right? Loved your post. Thanks for posting it!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Claire and Penny are beautiful. :catlove:

I was smiling along as I read your post, especially when I read about Penny, your "Southern Baptist cat". :D

Then my heart fell when I read about Claire. I'm so sorry she, and you, are having to deal with this. Sending vibes that even if she can't beat it, she'll prove the vets wrong and stay healthy a lot longer than they expect. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very warm welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Thank you for adopting these lovely ladies. Claire obviously has what I like to refer to as "tortitude.":wink: Our Neely, the cat in my avatar, was the same way, i.e. a true diva in every sense but very affectionate towards me. In fact, she also had an oral cancer. I'm terribly sorry to hear about Claire's health but please remember we are here to give you any support you may need. :hugs: Make yourself comfortable by reading some of the Articles and other resources on the forum.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
7332D553-806E-4021-842B-C06F6F54A104.gif
Liz and gang, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
2C4A2514-A62B-4765-97BE-846925F88081.gif

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

We are so
CBC875EC-F91C-4CE9-B67A-42CD4A6E945D.gif
to hear about Russian Blue and also Claire’s prevailing health :alright:

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome!!!

Your cats are beautiful. I am so sorry about your Russian Blue.
Penny and Claire found a wonderful home with you and your husband.

Mia :hellocomputer:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3:
Lovely girls, and, though it's very sad, 22 was a wonderful age for your Russian Blue.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :hithere:

Your kitties are gorgeous :redheartpump:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful girls. and yes those little tortie girls can have attitude :) I am sorry about Claire's cancer diagnosis! I hope you have as much happy time with her as possible! Sending her good thoughts!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to the three of you, and to Russian Blue, who is with us only in spirit! I am so sorry to hear about Clare's cancer. What a stinking, filthy disease it is. But you will not be alone on this journey. You have a community with you now.

OH! I'm in NC, too! Hey, neighbor!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome and thanks for sharing! My husband and I made a similar decision to adopt a cat even thought it felt a bit too soon to do so after the death of our beloved cat Gwen. Thank you for opening your home and hearts to these beautiful new cats.

I'm so sorry to hear about Claire's prognosis. You can tell from her picture that she has plenty of tortitude, so I hope that will help her fight the disease longer than anticipated.