Kmr Was Spoiled. 5 Week Old Kitten Lethargic. Please Help!

Skyeisfalling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stray mom had kittens under my porch and then was caught up in a tnr. Only heard them under there because it was raining and cold and starting to flood. It took hours to finally get them inside. I got them warm and clean. This was on the 1st of this month. I have been searching kitten forums obsessively. I love cats and kittens but never had any, so I took my research seriously. My husband ran and got kitten food and kmr and the lady recommended powdered kmr because the liquid needed to be refrigerated. I always read the labels! But because I was so overwhelmed with tiny kitten care I just never even thought of it. I am so mad at myself.

Only one wanted to be bottle fed. The others attacked the wet food and water mixture happily. They were doing so wonderfully. The one who was bottle fed hasn’t been in three days, maybe four but i started mixing a tablespoon or two of kmr into their wet food. My husband feeds them about the same amount of times that i do and he never used the kmr, he used water. I thought it was like baby formula and could just be left out. And the label has it in the tiniest print at the bottom! Its not even a little bit noticeable! My little Lucky has been lethargic all day. He ate good this morning. But since then hes only wanted to sleep. The other three kittens have been more sleepy today too but definitely played some. I did get him to eat 2 hours ago. I am so scared. I have an apt at the vet in the morning. But is there anything I should be doing to help him. I don’t want to lose them. I love them so much. His gums are pink and he is not dehydrated. Any help or reasurance would be wonderful.

If you need any other information, i will be glad to share. Thank you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the KMR smell rancid? Unless it does, I don't think that's the problem. Small kittens can have a lot of things go wrong. It's good you have an appointment in the morning. I hope he's just having a sleepy day! :vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep them warm. Smear some white caro syrup or water with honey on his lips and gums

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that powdered formula can be used slightly past its expiration without worry. It can also be left out without spoiling, but definitely lasts longer if stored in the fridge or freezer.

Hopefully your kitten is just having an off day, as Willowy suggested.

Please let us know how he is tomorrow. Thank you for rescuing them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyeisfalling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the replies! He is doing much better now :) I fed them turkey fancy feast for kittens without the KMR and after cleaning, he pounced and played with his sisters for quite a while! All the little darlings were way more active and playful than ever. I am still going to take them to the vet again tomorrow just to be safe. They are very precious to me. I am so lucky to have found them!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don't think it was the kMR either. Cats have a different digestive system then ours, and can safely eat/drink things that would make us very sick. I keep telling myself this as i watch them drinking out of the mossy, poopy bird bath when they have fresh clean water feet away! :headshake: