Kitty Won’t Stop Meowing/screaming

Roddenberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my other boy Ryder, we found him as a malnourished stray and he was very vocal and I understood why then but now he is 6 months old and very well kept and spoiled. Yet he still meows like crazy and sometimes outright screams when I’m out of the room or even there with him. I just wanna know if it’s normal or maybe something is wrong, it’s not a painful meow or scream it’s nothing like that at all so I’m just confused. Thank y’all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roddenberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have you had him to the vet? has he been neutered? if yes, and all medical reasons ruled out then it may just be that he is vocal. i have one that talks a lot!
I took him once we found him and I’ve been meaning to get back again but family issues have held me back although he is not neutered and I need to get to that. It’s like he has abandonment issues and they’re just missing you meows. Because when I come back he’s all over me and you can’t get him off of you which I absolutely adore.

Roddenberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Laying all medical issues aside, he’s just seeking attention since he looks like a clingy cat.
That’s what it seems like to me, just wanted to get a few other opinions from other cat folks.

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy! My Finn is a very vocal cat. He is constantly chirping (which is adorable) but also SCREAMS when he wants something, which is not so adorable. I feel your pain.

I will say that when Finn had an ear infection, he was EXTREMELY vocal. While some cats are quiet and subdued when sick, Finn becomes loud and restless. Perhaps a vet visit is in order to make sure he isn’t meowing out of discomfort. Also, I think your boy is at an appropriate age to neuter and neutering will ensure he isn’t going crazy due to females hanging around your home.

If you have ruled out all medical issues, he probably just wants attention. My Finn is very social and clingy and will howl for attention. As hard as it is, try not to acknowledge Ryder when he’s carrying on. Even negative attention will reward the behavior. I struggle with this personally- it can be hard not to comfort them or scold them when they’re whining. The best way I’ve found to keep my crazy boy quiet is to keep him occupied. I spend a good amount of time playing with him before and after work to tire him out.

I know a vocal cat can be REALLY frustrating, but try to be patient and remember that he is expressing his needs (be it pain, hunger, boredom, or loneliness) in the only way he can.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just more vocal than others. They not only talk all the time but express their opinions, as you have learned, in very loud voices. It does take some getting used to but after a while you start to tune some of it out. He is, by the way, an extraordinarily handsome boy.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe you have an intact male living in your house! He looks absolutely beautiful but sooner or later he is going to begin spraying. Some male cats, if they are fixed prior to hitting puberty, never spray, while others that are neutered after hitting puberty continue to spray even after being neutered.

If I were you, I'd sure make getting him snipped a priority.

Roddenberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't believe you have an intact male living in your house! He looks absolutely beautiful but sooner or later he is going to begin spraying. Some male cats, if they are fixed prior to hitting puberty, never spray, while others that are neutered after hitting puberty continue to spray even after being neutered.

If I were you, I'd sure make getting him snipped a priority.
He has never really sprayed and I too am quite shocked at that but knock on wood maybe it’ll never happen. He doesn’t seem like he will but it’s anyones game there

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s still young and still developing adult behaviors. You should really make neutering a priority.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He WILL spray, believe me, it is what toms do. I've never seen one that doesn't, usually starts about 10 months to a year old.
He may have separation anxiety, the reason he is so vocal, when separated from you. He may become more confident of himself about a year old and not be so bad. It takes cats literally months to get over some issues. Just keep reassuring him you will be back, he'll be fine.

LifeWithOliver

AM348
Young Cat
Purraise
I took him once we found him and I’ve been meaning to get back again but family issues have held me back although he is not neutered and I need to get to that. It’s like he has abandonment issues and they’re just missing you meows. Because when I come back he’s all over me and you can’t get him off of you which I absolutely adore.
He has to get neutered as soon as possible.