Kitty with fever and infection after rabies vaccine, vet thinks unrelated

LittleLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On October 17th Louie had his first Rabies vaccine. 8 days later (the 25th) I noticed a decent sized lump on the injection site. I visited the vet the next day for them to look at him, but they said it was probably a localized reaction, he had a 105 fever as well. I also noticed his third eye lid was kind of showing so I brought that up, but doctor said he looks fine

that night the eyes got worse and I sent photos to the vet. The next day I brought him in again for blood test and it turned out that he tested positive for feline aids and that he is currently anemic (low red blood cells and high white blood cells). His fever was 105.8 at that point but he was also pretty grumpy.

they gave him a fluid injection in case he was dehydrated, a half pill of prednisolone every 12 hours, and an antibiotic since his white blood cells are so high.
its been 3 days of taking these meds and his temp has been 101.4, 102.7, and 101.2, so steadily lower, but his energy levels are still low and his third eyelid looks better that originally, but not perfect.

Has anyone else encountered something similar? The fever of unknown origin is making me scared and frustrated bc him testing positive for FIV means his immune system isn’t very good.

Has anyone found that having the rabies vaccine (and then finding out your cat has FIV) could create a fever like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. He is 6 months old

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I rather doubt that the fever/infection is directly related to the vaccines, and there is NO chance that they caused the FIV. However, flare-ups are stress-related, so there is a possibility that the stress of the vet visit may have something to do with it. Your cat can live a long and pretty healthy life with FIV, but do read the articles that Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi LittleLou and a (tad) belated welcome to the forum !

I had a short experience with FeLV some years ago and since then I've learned that the very best informed advice and information about these extremely complicated and challenging diseases is available through the specialized online communities that have them as their central focus.

One of these has been active for the past 14 years and was highly recommended by one of our most feline-health-knowledgeable members, "ldg", who herself had a cherished FIV kitty - these are two of her pieces on his treatment: Chumleys FIV Health Journal and How I Am Treating Chumleys FIV. Laurie participated in that group and gained much from that community. She left TCS a few years ago to start foodfurlife.com with another superbly well-informed member, "carolina" - tto our great loss.

Their "About the Group" page is here: fivtherapy.com - Health & Support Group and, the orange arrow at the bottom will take you directly to their 'door'.

Just a 'heads-up.......if the antibiotic you were given is not doxycycline, then, given his anemia, I'd super-strongly advise that you put his case to that group post haste!

They are also likely to have lists of Vets who know their way around FIV - you might consider asking about one in your area.

Now, when you get set up and settled a bit, come back and let us know where 'things' are at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! Yes lots of rest and snuggles, food and water. Praying the stress free environment I’m creating helps him.
He was given doxycycline, I hope that sounds right to you.
thank you for sending all of that info! I appreciate it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a follow up question that I was hoping someone had some insight to.

Do FIV flare ups exist? Is it possible the rabiesvaccine caused him stress and the FIV symptoms to appear?

If that is the case, is there a way to ease the symptoms So he will be healthy again? I know there is no cure, but I was wondering if he will ever regain health after maybe a “flare up”? I can’t really find anything online to backup that theory. Any help is again really appreciated!!!