Kitty Throwing Up

Kristophersteel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a month ago, my cat started randomly throwing up. Not the normal occasional cat throw up but twice a day here and there. Sometimes several days In a row. I initially thought it was overeating. It doesn’t seem to be that as I ha e cut back on his treats and making sure he’s not getting anything beyond his food that’s out.

I’ve checked the food dates, fine. My other 8 cats are also fine. So I took him to the vet. $400 dollars later and all his blood work results back, nothing. The vet wants to do an ultrasound or X-ray to see what else it Might be.

He is normal in every other respect. No sudden weight loss, eating and drinking normally. Bathroom is fine. He’s normal besides throwing up.

I’m just looking for any input or ideas beforeI spend another $200 to be told they can’t find anything. He’s not in pain. The vet gave me some liquid for his throat and gut, along with nausea meds. Neither seems to be helping, clearly.

Thanks for any input. He’s around 12, great health, active, loving Catt. He’s a dog cat lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Is he getting canned food? Check with your vet first but can you try giving him boiled unseasoned chicken, possibly with a little white rice, for a couple of meals? Some vets prescribed that to try and reset an upset tummy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet gave me some liquid for his throat and gut, along with nausea meds. Neither seems to be helping, clearly.
Hi. In tandem with trying Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion, I wonder if he has become allergic to something in the food you are feeding him. It is not unheard of for this to happen, particularly in older cats. I also wanted to ask what the liquid for his throat and gut is for. Just curious about why the vet mentioned his throat as part of what the med was to be helping with. Do you know why the vet thought anti-nausea meds might help?

Is he throwing up immediately after eating? Or, is it a longer period of time afterward? Is it totally undigested or partially undigested? Does it always contain food, or does he sometimes just throw up liquid or bile? All of things can play into what might be wrong. Did the vet ask any of these questions?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we need to know the answers to the above questions to see if we can be of any help. It could still be overeating or eating too fast. I have one who if he gets one teeny morsel too much at any one meal will regurgitate his food within 15 minutes of said meal. Plus he inhales he food, so I have raised his bowl to help slow him down and offer him smaller, more frequent meals. And no matter how much he begs, At treat time, I break his in half so he "thinks" he's getting the same as everyone else, but really he's not :wink: