Kitty suddenly has a weird scab?

Moongiethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my cat neutered, chipped and vaccinated last week, he's about 9 months old. Last night I felt an odd texture while petting the cat, found a raised scab? Not sure what it is. Before I schedule another appointment with vet, any idea what this may be? He's a strictly indoor cat. 20211228_143133.jpg TIA

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like it's in the area of his shoulder. Do you think it could have been from the microchip? I wouldn't think so, as I think they're injected from what looks like a big hypodermic needle, in which case there shouldn't be anything other than a little puncture.

Looks like it's somewhat linear, sort of how a laceration might look.

Can't offer any more than that, unfortunately.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it seem a fresh thing?
Is it hard, thick, deep?
Is your cat bothered by it?

Could it be the scab from a scratch or injury from an outdoor adventure?
If your cat is allowed outside, the only thing that comes to mind is that he crept under a metal fence and he got scratched.

I agree with Vince, the needle for inserting the microchip is rather big, but doesn't leave such a scab. Furthermore, the microchip is inserted on a side near a shoulder, that scab looks like it's between the two shoulder blades.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moongiethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like it's in the area of his shoulder. Do you think it could have been from the microchip? I wouldn't think so, as I think they're injected from what looks like a big hypodermic needle, in which case there shouldn't be anything other than a little puncture.

Oh thanks for the response though, yes it's right on his shoulder blade ish. Doesn't look fresh and it looks like a red grey patch like an island with no hair around it but inside lol. I've added a few other pictures, it's like an irregular patch, I don't think he's even realized it, or seem bothered by it. Tbf I was thinking the same re the microchipping or the vaccine since I wasn't in the room when the vet did all of it, so wasn't sure of the area. Oh well might just take him back in this weekend

Moongiethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does it seem a fresh thing?
Is it hard, thick, deep?
Is your cat bothered by it?

Could it be the scab from a scratch or injury from an outdoor adventure?
If your cat is allowed outside, the only thing that comes to mind is that he crept under a metal fence and he got scratched.

I agree with Vince, the needle for inserting the microchip is rather big, but doesn't leave such a scab. Furthermore, the microchip is inserted on a side near a shoulder, that scab looks like it's between the two shoulder blades.
Ah no he's been an indoor cat since I got him 3 months ago and I don't think he's hurt himself with anything in my one bed, it is between his shoulder blades but more to inward the left of his shoulder. Thank you for your response.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if your cat isn't bothered by the scab, and if the scab is dry, not inflamed, not warm and isn't giving him any trouble, it might be not necessary to take him back to the vets. It would be just a stress for him, a possible expense for you, and an increased risk of exposition to any kind of bugs and virus for you and him.
I would just call the vet, send them a few photos of the scab and if they think that the matter needs more attention and investigation, then you take him to them.
This is my opinion, of course.

Moongiethecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that if your cat isn't bothered by the scab, and if the scab is dry, not inflamed, not warm and isn't giving him any trouble, it might be not necessary to take him back to the vets. It would be just a stress for him, a possible expense for you, and an increased risk of exposition to any kind of bugs and virus for you and him.
I would just call the vet, send them a few photos of the scab and if they think that the matter needs more attention and investigation, then you take him to them.
This is my opinion, of course.
I think that's definitely a very sensible opinion, a friend was mentioning recently how his cat had potentially caught a virus during a vet visit and passed away, plus it was a bit of an added expense for me with the taxi ride to and fro. I will email them if I need to bring him in first, truly appreciate your input! Ah it's not my bed since there's no underside he crawl under haha, plus it's a no go zone for him.