kitty not doing well, vets don’t know why

katandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone, hope you’re all doing well.

let me start by saying i know this is way above this forums typical problems but i did go to the vet and after a $500 bill, i know nothing still so i just wanna see if anyone here has any ideas.
and sorry for how long it is

so essentially kitty got teeth extracted and got neutered on 2/5. all went well, went home w antibiotics that he took for a week. i noticed he had some loose stool, not exactly diarrhea bc it didn’t happen more than once a day but everytime he had to poop, it was loose. my vet said it was to be expected and to add some dry food. besides that, all was good, he was eating, drinking.
on 2/12 the antibiotics stopped. on 2/13 the morning, he had loose stool again and threw up a little bit which seemed to be bc of a hairball. that was the last time he has pooped. sunday 2/14 he wasn’t eating as much or drinking as much, but we did get him some new toys he played with for a bit. one of them was a green like nylon maybe fish w a bell that he liked and i saw him chew on. the toy is a little pulled but not to the inside. maybe he swallowed some thread?

so 2/15 he ate in the morning and a little throughout the day but was also very sleepy. however today morning 2/16, he wouldn’t eat at all, he drank water twice and threw up right after both times. so i rushed him to my vet.
the vet said that his surgeries seemed to heal fine but they couldn’t tell what was wrong. he was severely dehydrated when we got in, his temperature was also low, his gums white. the vets took x rays, bloodwork, and they all came out normal. the only difference was he had a bit high level of calcium that’s unexplained.

they told me to take him to an emergency room to get ultrasounds, which i will i just don’t have the funds right now (broke college student that 526 bill dipped in my small savings) for now they said monitor him for tonight, give him water, they gave me a digestive wet food can. he drank a lot of water, no vomit but he has no appetite and he’s sleeping again. i can’t really tell what his temp is.
anyone have any clues? thanks a million and if not just some well wishes will also be appreciated.

-Cory-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what his original problem might be, but if he hasn't been eating very well you might need to be concerned about fatty liver. My cat is recovering from that right now and it sucks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I don't have a clue about what is happening, if he isn't eating at all, you will need to syringe feed him to prevent any liver damage until you can get some answers. A feeding tube would do this, as well, but it would mean more vet bills RIGHT AWAY, and I understand that it is beyond you at the very moment. If you have never syringe fed, you'll need pate-style cat food (no chunks or bits, just paste), a needleless syringe or medicine dropper, and patience. Mix the cat food with water into a fairly loose slurry. Draw that up into the syringe. Place the tip of the syringe between the cat's cheek and gum, and SLOOOOOWLY insert a bite at a time, allowing the cat to swallow between each bite. You'll get enough food and water into your baby to keep him going until you can get this resolved.