Kitty is More Vocal

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 13 year old Greta has become more vocal in the last two months. Everything else is normal with her. It's mostly when wanting food but is also at times just in general meowing. She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. Is this normal for a senior cat? I thinking of taking her to the vet to get her checked just to be sure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think a full senior vet check up (CBC, Chemistry Profile, urinalysis) would be a good idea, especially if she hasn't had one recently.
Feeby started having semi-annual senior check ups around the age of 10. Notwithstanding that, it could be that her hearing is starting to become compromised - a lot of cats become more vocal if their hearing is going. Or, it could be that she is just getting 'needier' in her older age.

Feeby (16+ yo) has become much more vocal over the past year, and I do think - based on my layperson's tests - she is having some hearing difficulties. For example, I have walked up behind her and she seems surprised to find me there. I also think she has become more interested - at times during her day - in having extra attention given to her that she didn't use to seek out in her younger days. She does 'squawk her brains out' first thing in the morning before she is fed, which she never used to do. But, I think some of that is due to wanting attention, which she then gets because I feed her.

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’d make sure to have her thyroid level checked. Increased vocalization can be a sign of a hyperactive thyroid. Has she been hungrier of late and/or has she lost weight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think a full senior vet check up (CBC, Chemistry Profile, urinalysis) would be a good idea, especially if she hasn't had one recently.
Feeby started having semi-annual senior check ups around the age of 10. Notwithstanding that, it could be that her hearing is starting to become compromised - a lot of cats become more vocal if their hearing is going. Or, it could be that she is just getting 'needier' in her older age.

Feeby (16+ yo) has become much more vocal over the past year, and I do think - based on my layperson's tests - she is having some hearing difficulties. For example, I have walked up behind her and she seems surprised to find me there. I also think she has become more interested - at times during her day - in having extra attention given to her that she didn't use to seek out in her younger days. She does 'squawk her brains out' first thing in the morning before she is fed, which she never used to do. But, I think some of that is due to wanting attention, which she then gets because I feed her.
Thank you for the info. Greta gets a geriatric checkup twice a year and it's only been a few months since her last one but I did make a vet appointment for next Wednesday. I had read sometimes senior cats get more vocal. Greta's most vocal when she wants to be fed but other times just sitting in the hallway or something she'll meow, which she didn't do before. I think her hearing is ok, she responds to sounds very well, but could be along those lines. Gonna get it checked. Thanks again

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’d make sure to have her thyroid level checked. Increased vocalization can be a sign of a hyperactive thyroid. Has she been hungrier of late and/or has she lost weight?
She does have a good appetite and is hungry often. Hasn't lost weight. She has a vet appointment Wed. I'll ask her to check that. Thanks for info.

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about getting her a senior blood panel at the vet. Is she losing weight and/or muscle mass?
Not really losing weight. But does have a great appetite. Think I'll ask the vet to do bloodwork. Thanks for your reply.