Kitty is having teeth pain

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning. Looks like my cat is having pain in his teeth. Daw emergency vet last week fir different reasons, he said his teeth probably need cleaning, but doesn't look like any need pulling from what he could see.Im working on getting into a vet soon.i ordered Virbac CET cat toothpaste. Was wondering if I could put some on a q tip and just very gently touch his back teeth which looks to be where the problem is.I don't really want to try brushing right now because of sensitivity.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Toothpaste won't help teeth already compromised by gum disease and in pain. Same as with us humans.
Sadly, will need that teeth cleaning. Once that's done you can start trying to brush his teeth, and since you'd be starting with a healthier mouth better chance of his dental health being better going forward.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since your cat would require anesthesia in order for his teeth to be cleaned it is customary to take x-rays. This is done to determine if there is any decay or other problem they can't see upon a physical exam. Please be sure to check that your vet would take x-rays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty goes into the vet next Tuesday morning for dental cleaning and x-rays, as well as ear mite eradication. I'm really praying that he doesn't need extractions.Emergency vet last week said it doesn't look as though he needs extractions,but definitely cleaning of teeth. I hope.Im not happy about waiting the three days,but this is the soonest appointment I could get.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kitty goes into the vet next Tuesday morning for dental cleaning and x-rays, as well as ear mite eradication. I'm really praying that he doesn't need extractions.Emergency vet last week said it doesn't look as though he needs extractions,but definitely cleaning of teeth. I hope.Im not happy about waiting the three days,but this is the soonest appointment I could get.
Unless the emergency vet sedated him and did an x-ray he won't actually know if kitty needs extractions. That's why they usually say "doesn't *look* like". They can't confirm.

If kitty needs extractions it will likely be okay. Nobel had two teeth out at 14. He's much happier now. He had to eat no kibble for a week after which was hell after day 3 when he started a protest of not eating. But that was the only drama.

My vet mandates pre-anesthetic blood work. I found that to be nerve calming.