Kitty drinking a lot

Mikiluvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 4 month old persons that I just adopted. One seems to be drinking more than the other. Should I be concerned? When he drinks he stands at the water bowl for about a minute. They come from great bloodlines with no health issues but it has me concerned. They will be going to the vet to be neutered in about six weeks. I will have blood work done at that time but I was just wanted to know if anybody else has this issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What type of food are you feeding? Dry food can cause dehydration in general and many brands contain salt which is supposed to get a cat to drink more water. Cats have a low thirst drive and are nature designed to get water directly from food. Dry food obviously has none. Canned food has a high moisture content and many people add extra water to the food. Even a cat on a mostly canned food diet can still drink water from a bowl. Some cats just like to drink water. How is the urine output from the one cat? All that water will have to come out if the body doesn't need it so large clumps aren't unusual.

Having blood work done is a good idea and will give the vet a baseline for future blood work and concerns. It's possible for kittens to have juvenile diabetes (very rare) or some random genetically caused kidney issue.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF this kitten is eating, sleeping and playing normally, and using the litter box normally, you may just have one kitten who likes to drink water a lot. My own cat is like that. She drinks almost double the average intake for a cat. I used to haul her to the vet every couple of months because I thought something was wrong. Nope. She just sucks back water like a camel in August!

Now, IF your kitten has other issues, then take it in right away. But drinking a lot by itself is usually not a problem.