Kittens With Green Eye Discharge

bellaaanherkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to her kittens on April 15th , and everything was going okay. Until the other day I was petting her and checking to see if the kittens were okay but I noticed one of the kittens eyes were shut with green eye discharge. I wiped it with a damp paper towel and his eyes opened up again. Now this morning I went to check on him and the others and now another one has green eye discharge but only in one eye. So I wiped their eyes and their eyes opened up again.
Before this happened, mama cat did get out of the room and I didn't notice till I got home. When I did get home him and her were sleeping with each other, so I hurried up and brought her back upstairs with her kittens. When I went back downstairs I noticed he had green eye discharge coming from his eyes aswell.

I'm really worried that maybe mama cat being around the other cat caused this, and I don't know what to do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a vet errand. They need antibiotics. Nothing much complicated, but it must be done. If you have any possiblity to take them to a vet asap, its good. Its not crash emergency, you dont need to run to a costly ER vet, but do it soonest.

If there isnt no vet around, you can prob get some suitable antibiotic salva OTC, but its not our recommendation if you dont know exactly what you are doing.

During the time, saline water is good to rinse with. Its no hokus pokus, they use it in hospital too. Boil the water with some salt in...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellaaanherkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anything that I could maybe go buy without taking them to the vet? I'm only 15, I don't have any money, and my mother is on a tight budget.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
green discharge usually means that there's bacterial infection, and this can be really dangerous for such small kittens, so you really need a vet for that :(

If the mom cat is allowed around other cat, is the other cat neutered? If not, she may get pregnant again even now...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you absolutely cannot get to a vet, Terramycin antibacterial eye ointment is available over the counter at farm stores or online. However, it's MUCH better to have them examined by a vet, because it may be more complicated than a simple eye infection.