Kittens Scooting Despite Being Dewormed 3x Over A Most 8 Weeks

Alexrennerblack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my 10/12 week old shorthair kittens have been scooting their butts on the carpet lately. At first I figured it was just the worms they had (at 5/7 weeks) that they have since been treated for every 2 weeks. They have one more dewormer left this week for a total of 4 treatments and they don't have wormy bellies anymore so I'm not sure why they're still doing this. Are they just trying to be cleaner? They weren't very good at cleaning themselves so I had been helping them out with kitten wipes and since then they have improved. It concerns me because I would have thought that the worms would have been mostly resolved after the first 2 treatments and completely cleared by the third. There's no environmental factors or other pets that have worm issues or health/ cleanliness issues so is it strange it's still occuring? TIA

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexrennerblack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also sorry about the spelling error in the title "Almost*" I'm not sure how to change it yet as it is my first post

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Alexrennerblack. To correct your post you must click on the word "edit'. You will then get your post and can correct it.You can then click on "Save Changes".
Regarding the problem with your kittens I'll let more experienced members help you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
According to my vet, scooting on the carpet/ floor is nothing to do with worms but usually means that their anal glands are not emptying normally. Do your kittens have diarrhoea or soft poop, if so, this could be the reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexrennerblack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
According to my vet, scooting on the carpet/ floor is nothing to do with worms but usually means that their anal glands are not emptying normally. Do your kittens have diarrhoea or soft poop, if so, this could be the reason.
It like seems normal 90% of the time but super stinky, it was a lighter color though and the vet tech said that was normal but here and there things are a little runny. Is there another way to tell if the glands are having an issue?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have read that scooting can be caused by Parasites, Allergies and/or Anal gland issues. It is the vet's job to find out which. Anal gland issues may require antibiotics. It is not true that scooting have nothing to do with worms but since they have been treated for that it is important to find out if anal gland issues are concerned. You may wish to contact another vet to make sure that no infection is present. Depending on the scooting cause a change of food may be necessary.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You certainly have an adorable group of very healthy looking kittens. Do you use only unscented litter? The perfumes and fragrances can be very irritating. And to edit a post, click on the 3 horizontal lines that are to the left of the purraise button; you will get a drop-down box of options.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What worms were they tested for, what was found and what medication did you treat them with? Was it from the vet or OTC? I won't knock OTC dewormers but I just want to know that the right medication was used to treat the parasites found and if any other tests were done?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The next time you are in the vet can check their glands. It may be the worming itself and the worms being expelled may be causing discomfort too and they are trying to relieve it. Call your vet and report it and see what they say. I would bet once the worming is completed the scooting will stop. OTC wormers do not kill tapeworm, so make sure whatever is used contains something that does. The wormer may be the reason for the change in stools and the odor. Be every careful not to overdose, kittens systems are delicate.