Kittens not gaining as much weight last few days

Crazy mad cat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my sphynx and my Siamese both gave birth on same day and due to my sphynx contracting an infection and not producing mil I put 3 of her kittens with Siamese who had 2 we bottlefed the other 4 who died a few days later the ones with Siamese have been gaining 10 grams a day until last couple of days where they have only going 3 and 6 grams should I supplement with bottle or leave alone

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr do you have access to? I presume it will be the same the other kittens got?
It may be wise to have some other kmr if the first one wasnt not so good?? Speculating!

Can you get hold of raw goats milk?

Anyway, a deep drop in increasing, more than one or max 2 days, IS worrying. the earlier 10g a day is normal, but its not awesome either... Some healthy kittens are know to get 20+ g a day...

so yeah, do prepare the gears while you are planning....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They have all come a long way since birth!

The current smallest, at 168 grams, is not quite 6 ounces at 5.9. The next, at 176, is 6.2 ounces, and the biggest, at 197, is 6.9 ounces.

So, in terms of how far they have come in less than 2 weeks, they are doing well. However, the average for kittens at 2 weeks old is 8 ounces, so they are still on the smallish size. Kittens born at higher weights who feed well are often bigger than 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks, but they had a head start.

The fact that they are gaining and not losing is also a good sign. Kittens can have plateaus where they gain less for a couple of days, then grow and pig out and gain again. This is normal.

I suggest that you begin topping them off after they feed from mom as it seems they could use extra. So supplement each with whatever they’ll take several times a day.

If you’ve not supplemented before they may fight you at first, but once kittens learn that it’s good stuff they will usually take it more readily. I suggest you use a syringe. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Let us know how this goes and if they begin gaining more weight over the next few days.

The goals are to weigh close to 8 ounces at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, one pound (16 ounces) at 4 weeks, and 2 pounds at 8 weeks.

Keep in mind females may be smaller than males, and that yours may be doing well but still need extra time to catch up, which most kittens do once they wean to soft foods between 6-8 weeks.

Also, will you be spaying your mother cats? Are the kittens pure bred? We’d love pictures!

C Crazy mad cat lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazy mad cat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are purebred 3 sphynx 1 larger male and 2 females and robustly larger healthy Siamese boy and girl.will post picture when I can