Kittens Losing Weight

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ouIs the vet starting them on a strong antibiotic such as metradiazol or clindamycin? The foul odor is often a giveaway. It is definitely worth trying, even if the vet says it's a virus, because we all know the outcome if nothing is done.Please do not delay! I had caught a litter of 5 plus their mom and they all got that smelly diarrhea when the babies were about a month old. One kitten I "pulled" and put into my kitten infirmary because he had infected eyes; the vet started him on Biomoxx oral suspension and NeoPolyBac eye ointment. The others plus mother cat got sick on the weekend and the following Monday, the vet gave me antibiotics for the rest because they got that terrible diarrhea but it was too late - I lost all but the little guy who got antibiotics right away.
You can try simmering some white rice for about an hour and give the thickened water to them with their pedialyte blended in, to help firm up the stools. You can also ask the vet about adding lemon balm and red raspberry leaf tea to their feed or give as a stand alone. If you get the go ahead on the herbs, you can try slippery elm but be forewarned that the slippery elm needs to be given 4 hours away from antibiotics because the soothing coating of the herb will also interfere with the absorption of the medicine.
Please keep us updated! Prayers and vibes that you save the rest of the litter - you are doing a fantastic job with them so I suspect something extraordinary is going on, such as infection.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:heartshape::cheerleader::angel3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eloise613

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: The kittens finally got over whatever their mystery illness was, only to catch Calicivirus from another litter while they were staying at the shelter for a few days. I nursed them back to health after THAT, and they finally became healthy kittens. At 12 weeks old they still weighed 2.6 and 3.6 pounds but today I finally said goodbye and good luck to them as they’re off to find their forever homes.

Thank you for all the support and advice!! We made it!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:salute: Congratulations on saving those precious lives! You have overcome terrible odds and the experience will prove its worth over and over, not just for your endeavors but you will pass along your useful knowledge in many ways. I am very proud of you -