Kitten’s little specks of orange dried discharge.

cat_pumpkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya,

It’s been a long while since I’ve came here but,

recently my 9 week old kitten has had little small amounts of orange dried up discharge around the corner of it’s eyes, and also has a dry nose with white dried specks on its nose, too.

Sometimes I notice that the little amount of discharge by the corner of its eyes are white – but not a huge amount, just a small tiny bit.

It doesn’t seem to be bothering her at all. She never picks at it or even scratches her eyes – what I’m trying to say is her motions are normal and usual – nothing frantic about her energy nor have a realised any abnormality in her eating and her regular day activities.

A month prior to getting her, I lost my own 6 year old cat and I tend to stress about anything, whether that is to be minor or major, for her due to my trauma response in losing my best friend, my first cat.

As for her nose, she doesn’t have a runny nose, nor mucus, sometimes there appears to be dried white specks.

Can anyone help me with this? I’ll attach a photo of them all for reference.

Thank you so much!
2CAE1AF6-8D65-458F-A7C8-B4811394E8E2.jpeg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't say for sure about the nose, but it might be drainage from her eye that has collected and dried on her nose. As far as the eye drainage, you probably ought to have a vet check it out. It could lead to an infection, or perhaps is the beginning of an infection.

Has she been tested from some of the various viruses that tend to affect the eyes and/or respiratory system? At least you would know what to look for and add supplements/anti-viral meds that could help strengthen her immune system.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Tears or drainage from cats' eyes and nose does tend to go reddish when dried. It's not necessarily an, just the composition of the secretions. I just take a damp cloth or tissue and wipe it off.

She's old enough to start getting her shots. You can ask the vet about it when you take her for her routine visit.

What is her name?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that you basically need to use a warm, damp cloth to clean her eyes and nose areas daily. It could be drainage from a cold or other infection, or it could be crust from getting her face into wet food.

However, to be sure, a vet check for infection (think possible upper respiratory infection or possible eye infection), any of which are easily cured with oral or eye antibiotics, would be in order.

I think a vet check would ease your concerns. Do let us know what the vet says!