Kitten's eye is very sore/swollen

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Came home to find our kittens eye half open/shut and very red/swollen. Took her straight to vet who put dye in it, washed it out and lubricated it and gsve me pain killers for her. Theres no scratches on her eyeball or anything he can see but shes still so miserable. Is there anyrhing i can do to make her more comfortable??

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat tolerates it, a warm compress held to the eye might feel good but few cats will tolerate it. Did the vet give any indication of what it might be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No he cant see what it can be but if shes no better this afternoon she has to go back in to be sedated and a proper look

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully she is feeling better this afternoon. My guess would be maybe a bug bite and she's having an allergic reaction as well, making for a larger reaction but the wound is small enough it isn't visible. You might need to have the vet shave the area to get a better look at what is going on.

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her back as i just wasnt happy with how she was. She now has a temp of 41.5°. He gave her an antibiotic injection in case its bacterial but if its viral it wont work. Ive got to take her back in the morning for them to check temp again

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl once had a pupil that wasn't light reactive. Didn't seem to bother her but it didn't react to light. Took her in, ran every test, gave her a range of medications, and it resolved. Never did figure out what caused it and it hasn't come back in two years. I know it's hard when we don't have answers but know you are doing everything you can to help her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was going to suggest terramycin antibiotic eye ointment, so hoping the antibiotic injection will help. It may take a couple days to see improvement. If she still has fever tomorrow he can give her a fever reducer like Onsior or Buprenorphine. Fever often indicates infection. I do hope she gets better soon!

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After being at emergency vet on oxygen last night who eventually discharged her home, we went back to vet this morning to check her again. Temp is down from 40.3° to 39.2° so thats improving. Shes had another antibiotic injection and vet said she should start picking up even more by this afternoon amd she has. Shes soooo much better than last night. I honestly thought we were going to lose her last night 😭😭 her breathing was so laboured.
Shes interested in food but wont actually eat any yet. Ive tried treats, tuna, chicken as well as her usual food but she hasnt eaten any yet. She also hasnt had any fluid. In a last ditch attempt to get some in her i bought this royal canin kitten replacement milk which she seems to quite like. I assume this is ok given the circumstances til shes better enough to eat her proper food?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! By all means, if she will drink the kitten formula give her as much as she wants. Royal Canin is an excellent brand.

I am so glad that she is improving. The fact that she responded to the antibiotic injection tells me she was suffering from an infection. Good for you for being so pro-active about getting her to the vet!

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last visit to vet today and theyre 99% certain its an insect bite, possibly a spider. We're in uk so nothing deadly venomous here so shes going to be fine once the skin round her eye clears up. Shes back to her usual self now (apart from the eye which she has antibiotics for)

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ouch. Hopefully she's feeling better soon. My boy had a series of (suspected) bug bites that gave him little scabs all over the place. Luckily, he didn't have a bad reaction or whatever bit him wasn't venomous because other then the scabs there was no ill effect. Four years later and we haven't had a reoccurance, hopefully yours is a one off too.