Kitten’s eye condition + FVRCP question

Sanflora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I hope you and your precious kitties are doing well during these times.

I adopted a sweet baby two days ago from our local animal services. She seemed to have a bit of discharge in one eye, but I thought that wasn’t too uncommon for babies in those environments. Her eye condition has gotten a bit worse however and I’m wondering if I should seek out medical treatment or just give it a few days. I’ve read these things clear up on their own, but I’m still a bit concerned. Her eyelid is pretty red and her cheek is a bit swollen, to the point where she can’t fully open the eye. The discharge is predominantly clear. She eats very well, potties normal and is very active however. I’ve attached photos. I’m assuming it’s conjunctivitis?

My follow-up question regards the FEVRCP shot she received. If it is indeed conjunctivitis, does that null the effects of the vaccine? Assuming she was carrying it before she was treated and it just hadn’t presented itself at the shelter?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet as soon as you can. Eyes are very finicky, and can ulcerate or just worsen in general quite quickly. A quick check and diagnosis from a vet is best, IMO. It may just be early conjunctivitis, though the discharge for that is usually green or yellow. There also may be something trapped in her eye, or the eye itself may have been scratched, which as I mentioned could ulcerate if left untreated.

In the meantime, you can wash her eye gently with some warm water, preferably distilled. Some people even use a green tea solution. Do not use a saline solution, as if there is a scratch on the cornea it could cause ulceration.

I am unsure if conjunctivitis would nullify the vaccine...another question for the vet I think. Was she tested before receiving the vaccine? Perhaps she had already contracted one of those diseases beforehand, as you said.