Kitten

ncawkwell01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just today bought a kitten. The woman brought the kitten claiming he was fully weaned and had been flead and wormed two days ago. The kitten was settling very well but was scratching a lot so I checked his belly and saw fleas. At the moment in time we didn't have any flea repellent so I read on a forum to put him in warm water and pick the fleas off so I tried doing this and going through with a nit comb however there was two many to do the job. I went to pets at home and bought kitten flea tablets and flea fogger for the room which I hope will do the trick if anything has come off him. The tablets claimed to work withing 15 minutes which after this time I did see the fleas coming off and dying. However, I am concerned as he isn't eating any real food, we have given him full fat milk which he is drinking but is trying to suckle it out of the bowl. We tried enticing him to his food my mixing it with tuna which he didn't eat it so we tried him eating just tuna which he had a nibble but the he was too distracted by itching. I was wondering if the flea stuff is going to work and if he hasn't been weaned properly and might be younger than what he is. If you could give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have also attached pictures of the cuteness.

Attachments

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have answers about fleas or age, but he shouldn't be drinking any cow's milk. This upsets cats' digestive systems and doesn't provide enough nutrients. There is specially-made kitten food (wet and dry) most likely available at the store where you got the flea products.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, no cow milk. That kitten doesn't look to be older than 6 weeks. How old were you told he was? And who did you buy him from?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old did they say he was? Maybe 5 or 6 weeks old? Have you tried Pate and Kitten Chow? That's all that Demi could eat at that age.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What were the flea tablets? The only I can think of are Capstar or its generic brand the pet stores sell. That only kills the live adult fleas to relieve the pet with the infestation. It doesn't nothing to keep the fleas away or kill new ones as they hatch.