Kitten won't stop eating senior cat's food

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My boy Raven and his sister Pantou both will not stop going after my senior cat Misha's food. Misha's on 7+ kibble and the babies are still on kitten since they're not old enough for 1+ yet. I have tried different levels, different rooms, opposite ends of the house, telling the babies no when they eat Misha's, rewarding good behavior, me physically blocking Misha's food, and telling them they're good when they eat their own. I've even mad ea seclusion area Misha could only get to, but the babies are much smaller and can sneak past pretty much everything. I asked the vet and she said to try a few of Misha's kibble in their food, and sure enough that made it worse. They're so bad with it, it's like they're addicited to it. I've looked into the RFID feeders and they didn't have any I liked plus the cost is really high. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I think the babies are doing it because they're teething and the senior has much bigger kibble than kitten, but they're also at the age they're getting more territorial and are in the preteen phase. Misha also let's them slide with things and I told her that she'll one day regret it. Misha surprisingly doesn't get mad when they do it either, but I want the babies to get all their nutrients they need so no problems later in life (hopefully). Both babies are on track for their age and weight, but I worry with Pantou that she isn't getting enough nutrients since she worse with it and both babies manage to find it no matter where I put Misha's food. It's not a matter of flavor since I give all of them chicken flavor.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
An all life stages food might work in this case if you are comfortable switching the food. These foods will say "all life stages" or "kitten to adult"

Personaly I think it would probably be the easiest way since it wouldn't matter if they steal food since it would be the same stuff.

Barriers would be a bit more complicated

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much all food is for every cat. You could have Misha eat in a separate room

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An all life stages food might work in this case if you are comfortable switching the food. These foods will say "all life stages" or "kitten to adult"

Personaly I think it would probably be the easiest way since it wouldn't matter if they steal food since it would be the same stuff.

Barriers would be a bit more complicated
Thanks. I'll look into it and see if Science Diet has one. I'm reluctant to switch to another brand only because I've had nothing but good experiences with the Science Diet.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pretty much all food is for every cat. You could have Misha eat in a separate room
I've tried that and it doesn't work. The babies still manage to find it. I've even tried total opposite end of the house and nope that doesn't work either.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure about scence diet honestly. Only reason ive used that brand was the c/d during covid since i couldnt get urinary so for Kabuto.

I feed Indy performatrin ultra and it is all life stages. Not sure if it is available outside canada though.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not sure about scence diet honestly. Only reason ive used that brand was the c/d during covid since i couldnt get urinary so for Kabuto.

I feed Indy performatrin ultra and it is all life stages. Not sure if it is available outside canada though.
Okay, thanks.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M Mv00 Do the kittens get some kitten wet food? If yes, personally, what I did was simply mix some kitten dry and senior dry together and let them eat it.
Neither Magnus, Calcifer nor my vet had any issue with this. Nobel was on Royal Canin versions for dry. Purina for wet food but the urinary version.

We switched to Purina dry food to see if Magnus had a pork allergy (pork in Royal Canin) and that went swimmingly until they added beef fat to their recipe and then we had to take Magnus off it.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty much all food is for every cat.
It may be unpopular, but I generally agree. If you need to, you can feed a kitten adult food. If the kittens want the bigger kibbles, then switch them over. How old are they? 4 months?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Both babies are on track for their age and weight,
Are you feeding the kittens literally as much as they want to eat of their own food?

Kittens are eating machines, and need that much food to provide fuel and support for all the incredible growth and high energy activity that is going on.

Also if they're teething, take a clean (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets) washcloth, wet it and partially freeze it. Let them chew on that, the cold will help numb discomfort.

Last edited: