Kitten Won't Stop Biting And Scratching Me!

gnatrbone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heeeeelp!

I recently got my 4 month old kitten from Poorly Paws and although he's the cutest little thing, he is driving me nuts with biting and scratching me! He is a white and ginger tabby shorthair. He's my first cat and I'm starting to think I am out of my depth!

He tends to bite around 9/10ish in the evening, when I'm sitting on the sofa or when I'm in bed, and he wakes me up at 4am, 5am and 7am each morning doing the same thing. The bites sometimes draw blood and even though I have tried hissing, growling, shouting 'no!' and 'ouch!' and using a spray bottle (although I only do that as a last resort), NONE of these things seem to deter him and 10 seconds later he will do it again. He's now started going for my face and neck, which is a horrible surprise to wake up to if I've nodded off.

My house is an open plan studio so unfortunately there aren't any places that I can shut him in at night and send him for a time out - my kitchen door doesn't have a latch and my bathroom is just too small to be able to keep him in there overnight. It just seems a bit cruel to me.

Is it playful or aggression when he bites and scratches and just revisits after a few seconds to do the same thing? At all other times of the day we just have cuddles or play together and he's absolutely fine. He's very affectionate at other times and also very active, he loves jumping around the house and playing with his toys with me.

He has a large scratching post, toys he can play with when I'm not in the house, and plenty of things to do (my house is very old so plenty of beams to climb!)

Has anyone got any suggestions of why he keeps doing this and what else I can do to make him stop?

Thanks so much!
xxx

LittleFang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Find a distraction for him!

I recommend a feather on a string and stick toy. Use it before bedtime and play enough to tire him out, and if you do it enough, chances are he'll snooze the morning away or go find a toy to play with. If he starts going for your body again, distract with the toy. Any kind of toy. Jumping at your hand? Toss/kick a ball with a bell to distract. Redirect the behavior onto proper outlets. :)

Let us know!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's bored. Like LittleFang said, you need to wear him out. Kittens that age have tunnel vision. They just can't comprehend 'NO'. The above was excellent advise. Distract him. When he does go for you, let him know it hurts and don't cuddle him afterwards. I know it's hard, they are so very cute you just can't help yourself sometimes. He may have plenty of toys, but he needs stimulation, so play with him. Get him jumping up to catch the toy, wear him out.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah the terrible two's in kitten hood is 2-5 months ;) They get calmer as they age. My advice? 1) kitten proof one room. Put toys, food, litter & bed in that room. When you sleep, leave the house or need to cook dinner, stick him in there. 2) Play play & more play! Play with him in the morning, evening & before you go to bed. Any extra play on top of that is great. A tired kitten is a cuddly kitten. Your kitten only wants to play, eat & sleep at this stage. 3) Toys not hands or feet. If he attacks your hands or feet tell him NO! or OW! Then ignore him for 5-15 minutes. Do it every time. He will get the point eventually. 4) In a couple of months you can work on letting him sleep with you. Every time he wakes you up, calmly pick him up & place him in his room for the rest of the night. Or you can start training him now but in my experience they are easier to train at 5-6 months. 5) I think he is past the teething stage but if he starts chewing on stuff, by him some kitten chew toys or a couple of those raw hide bones made for little dogs. Cut the bones in 1/2 or 1/3's & let your kitten gnaw to his hearts content. 6) Take lots of pictures. They grow up fast :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gnatrbone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so so much everyone for your advice! I have been trying the distractions and positive alternatives - so whenever he goes to bite me I pass him his Kong kickeroo or his bunny rabbit, and he’ll bite that for a few minutes, but then go for my hand again...

I think we have about 1-1.5 hours of play on a weekday, and even more at the weekends. Will keep trying to wear him out before I go to bed so that I can get a good nights sleep and so he’s not bored.

Thank you for all your help
N xxx

PS- Here’s a photo of him (hope it will attach...) he looks like butter wouldn’t melt!!

Attachments

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute ! I have a cat who still bites now and it is frustrating. She has calmed down though with biting although is very naughty since turning one. When she was 4 months I used to sometimes wear gloves when playing with her as she used to lose interest in the toy and go for my hands. I hiss at her and ignore her when she has violent tendencies. Try not to move your hands when she bites ( I know hard to do ) as more you move quickly the more he will go for it as they love the chase . I used to do intense play every night before bed for half hour as that does work !