Kitten won't eat

AlexNorton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all.

I have a small kitten who won't nurse, even though her belly is pretty empty.

She also seems tired and weak, like her sibling did before we brought her to the vet, and she, sadly, had to be put down because she was too far gone.

What is going on and how can I fix it? I don't think I can deal with another heartbreak.

Shes about 3 1/2 weeks old, and I've been trying to get them to lap up some KMR as well as nurse but she doesn't want to.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to get a needless syringe and put drops into the side of her mouth, belly down with head up so she doesn't choke. smear some honey water on her gums, that may help to revive her enough to nurse. Mom may not have any milk, or very little. she is most likely too young to lap up milk. but you could try a little wet kitten food mixed with KMR to see if that makes her more interested, put a tiny dab on her lips, and see if she will lick it off. Please maybe get her to the vet sooner and see if they can figure out what is wrong. It may be genetic and nothing can be done, or it may be that she is just too weak, and feeding with a syringe may perk her up. Try that first, just a few drops at a time. I'll pray for her........

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get some honey on her gums and review this video on feeding tiny kittens. She is too young to eat on her own for a few more weeks.

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Can you get kitten formula at a pet shop or Walmart? A pharmacy can give you a syringe or dropper for free. A few drops of sugar water will hold her long enough for you to get to the vet.

Are there other kittens in the litter who are nursing well?