Kitten With Runny Nose

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a strange one. Onsa gets a runny nose for about 2 hours each night, then it clears up.
She does not have runny/watery eyes. There is no sneezing. She is eating, drinking, poop/pee and playing all normal.
It's just a runny nose, usually between 10-12 pm and then it clears up.

What in the world could cause this and should I be concerned?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your air conditioner or a fan kick on around that time? She may have allergies to dust or something that gets stirred up at that time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your air conditioner or a fan kick on around that time? She may have allergies to dust or something that gets stirred up at that time.
I thought of that, but we have an evap and it's off at night.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure what an "evap" is (probably something invented well after my time), but do you open windows at night? Could it be something drifting in from outside? Guess you will just need to play detective, maybe get down on her level and see if you feel a draft or anything, or something tickles your nose.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An Evap is a cooler that has three pads where water is constantly flowing on them. Then a big fan to send out the cold air. It is turned off around 5-6 pm and windows opened up. She is always on my bed next to me when this happens and wipes her nose all over me. (thanks kitty). But, she's always on my bed and it only happens late at night. I'm always awake at that time, so I know her nose is dry prior to this.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess my big question is...Does it sound like an allergy to something or should I be concerned?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like an allergy to something that comes in when the window is opened. I have those myself, depending on what is blooming, or which way the wind is blowing. I'm allergic to mold spores and we've had a lot of rain lately so when the wind blows hard, I may have a runny eyes and coughing fit, but it will pass in half an hour or so. I have two cats who have seasonal alergies (ie when seasons change in spring and in fall) and I give them Zyrtec, 1/4 tablet daily when it's moderate and 1/2 tablet daily when its strong. It really seems to help a lot and we got by this spring without having to go to the vet for a shot of steroids. They are on the low dose now as maintenance. I just use the generic I get at Walmart.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response. I didn't think it was much more than allergies, but it didn't affect any other animal. I do realize that every one is different.
But I'm glad you don't think there is an underlying problem and I need to get a vet involved since I really don't trust the ones up here at all.