Kitten With Runny Bloody Stool Urgent

lisapanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, this might be a little long but I don't know what to do so I'm giving all the details. I found a 1 month old, lost kitten outside on tuesday and adopted it. It was 11 pm so I could only give him some dry cat food that I had for one of our older cats. Next day I took him to the vet for ectoparasites treatment and he also got a shot for worms. The vet also gave us a medicine for intestinal worms and told us to give it for 4 days and wait 10 days and then give it for another 4 days. We got him some kitten food (different brand) this time on our way back. When we came home he ate some of the new food we got and used the bathroom and his stool looked very normal. On thursday his stool became a bit runny but not too much. On friday it was very runny and later that day we noticed a bit of blood. Today we gave him some of the adult food just to see if it's gonna make and difference and it didn't really change anything. I'm pretty sure this happened because we changed his food without introducing it. But he only ate the adult food for only a day so I'm a little confused. He's VERY playful and shows no signs of lethargy. He eats and drinks a lot of water too.
My question is, now that we have changed his food already, what am I supposed to do?
Since I can't introduce it again.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for rescuing the tiny. Right now, his insides need to cam down so unflavored Pedialyte cut 50/50 with bottled water (unless your tap watet has no chemicals cuz then you can boil and cool) or lacking that, feed the homemade solution in the recipe found on www.kitten-rescue.com. Also, he is so young that formula is still appropriate ( many people use KMR but I like either raw goatmilk or formula made with canned goatmilk). You can put some Gerber Stage 2 chicken or beef into the dilutedPedialyte and feed him the gruel. He needs frequent, tiny feedings as well, to keep his calories up. Please keeo us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisapanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for rescuing the tiny. Right now, his insides need to cam down so unflavored Pedialyte cut 50/50 with bottled water (unless your tap watet has no chemicals cuz then you can boil and cool) or lacking that, feed the homemade solution in the recipe found on www.kitten-rescue.com. Also, he is so young that formula is still appropriate ( many people use KMR but I like either raw goatmilk or formula made with canned goatmilk). You can put some Gerber Stage 2 chicken or beef into the dilutedPedialyte and feed him the gruel. He needs frequent, tiny feedings as well, to keep his calories up. Please keeo us posted!
Thank you for your reply, but I'm sorry to say I don't live in the USA and I don't have anything like Pedialyte in my country. I'm taking him to the vet right now.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are taking the kitten to vet. My first thought was that the medicine was causing it and not change in food necessarily, but hopefully you can get some good answers from your vet. Best of luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisapanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad you are taking the kitten to vet. My first thought was that the medicine was causing it and not change in food necessarily, but hopefully you can get some good answers from your vet. Best of luck.
Thank you. The vet gave him some other medicine because the first one wasn't strong enough to kill the parasites inside. He's getting better already :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can make yourself a pedialyte, a very basic receipt is this

Thank you for your reply, but I'm sorry to say I don't live in the USA and I don't have anything like Pedialyte in my country. I'm taking him to the vet right now.
; it reminds much of the WHO-receipt:
1 litre water
1 soupspoon of honey (or othe glucose sugar / dextrose source)
1 teaspoon of kitchen salt...
Mix it by boiling up, cool down to body temp.

The same recipe may be used to humans and children. Excellent against diarrhea and throwing much.

I too wanted to suggest raw goats milk, or if you cant get it, canned goat milk...

And nay, it wasnt probably not these changes in food, even if its true he needs some very mild food.

A more broadly working dewormer / deparasiter was the more probable cause. Which you got with this second vet.