Kitten with nasal congestion

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some advice. I have a kitten I rescued right after Thanksgiving. Poor thing was full of worms and had severe tummy issues. Got that all taken care of and she's been like a new kitten.

I boarded her the week of 12/10, picked her up on the 18th. She was severely congested when I got her. She was put on zithromax and chlortabs. The worst part has improved, but she still sounds congested in her nose. It most whistles as she breathes. She's playing and eating well, just seems to have nasal congestion.

I've tried everything I know on top of her meds, running a steamy shower, running a humidifier, saline drops, lysine in her food. The vet just says give it more time, but I feel like she should be improving by now. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I'm almost to the point of seeing a different vet for a second opinion.

Thankfully it's not slowing her down, but it can't feel good to be congested this long.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It’s never a bad idea to get a second opinion.
How old is your kitten?
Has testing been done for FELV/FIV?
what is kitties vaccine status?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely seek a second opinion as your vet is brushing off your concerns. This type of breathing is not normal and more antibiotics or a different antibiotic may be needed, especially if you've tried all the other things.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IF you've run out of things to try, consider or look into treating kitten as if it has asthma, I've got a stray with asthma, all was normal with him except for his daily breathing attacks, all is fine now with daily treatment mixed in his wet food.......
If the asthma treatment does not clear up air passage, stop treatment, no harm, no foul...........If the asthma treatment has an affect on the air passage, you should notice a difference within 2 days..........It would be a quick test IMO, to clear up air passage.........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It’s never a bad idea to get a second opinion.
How old is your kitten?
Has testing been done for FELV/FIV?
what is kitties vaccine status?
I'm guessing she's about 4 months old. She has been tested and just got her second set of boosters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I got up through the night to check on her, and no whistling! I didn't give her chlortab last night as I thought it might be drying her out too much. She actually sounds a lot better this morning. Still a little sound in her nose, but much better than yesterday. I'm really wondering if the zithromax and chlortabs were drying her out. She hasn't had a runny nose or eyes at all.