Kitten with manx syndrome is constipated

EddieBuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 5 month old kitten, Eddie is constipated. That seems to be fairly common with manx syndrome and we have struggled with diarrhea and constipation since he was 8 weeks old. He did pretty good on Hills ID but then he wouldn't eat it. He knows when he has to poop but he apparently doesn't have the muscle tone to push it out unless the poop is fairly soft. Can I get some suggestions on wet cat food and something to soften the poop. He currently takes 1/4 tsp miralax twice a day but that isn't softening it. Also, would it help him if I could express(not sure if correct term) it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What about a little olive oil? Would Royal Canin kitten food help, or their mother and babycat food, or fancy feast kitten food -- in other words something really easily digestible?

I'm reading that belly massages can help, plus pt :)
Physical therapy for cat with Manx syndrome

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Miralax in some water before mixing it into canned food or moist treat or syringing it into the cat?

I would think any canned food would help because of the high moisture content. I'm not sure if digestive enzymes, pre- or pro-biotics would help but they certainly can't hurt.

This TCS thread has a post suggesting that a raw diet helped the person's Manx cat: Anybody have experience with manx syndrome?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EddieBuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
What about a little olive oil? Would Royal Canin kitten food help, or their mother and babycat food, or fancy feast kitten food -- in other words something really easily digestible?

I was thinking that olive oil might be good too. Do you think once a day?
Hi

I am giving him Royal Canin. It is the loaf for kittens. I also got him Blue tastefuls for kittens. I will have to read about the massage. Thanks for the link.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EddieBuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Miralax in some water before mixing it into canned food or moist treat or syringing it into the cat?

I would think any canned food would help because of the high moisture content. I'm not sure if digestive enzymes, pre- or pro-biotics would help but they certainly can't hurt.

This TCS thread has a post suggesting that a raw diet helped the person's Manx cat: Anybody have experience with manx syndrome?
I put the Miralax in water and mix to dissolve and then add the food. He has been eating it. I have no experience with a raw diet. I have been putting a little plain vanilla yogurt with the Miralax, do you think that is helpful?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put the Miralax in water and mix to dissolve and then add the food. He has been eating it. I have no experience with a raw diet. I have been putting a little plain vanilla yogurt with the Miralax, do you think that is helpful?

There's a forum here on TCS with more info on raw and home cooked diets if you want to explore those. There are commercially available brands of raw food that you can buy if making raw from scratch with a recipe is not doable.

The small amount of yogurt isn't going to have any effect. Yogurt in general doesn't have many bacteria strains or a high CFU count. You can buy a probiotic and mix it into canned food or moist treat. There's info here:

Probiotics Search - Human Grade and CFUs
Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis