Kitten With Lasting Cough. Not Uri

Ashleylynn2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I adopted my 2 kittens after losing 2 of my cats to heart failure around different times. My girl that I’m worried about is 20 weeks old now very tiny. 5 pounds and her brother (different litter) is 14 weeks at 9 pounds. My girl has had a cough since the day we brihght her home. Vet has now tried 2 different antibiotics, steroids, upper respiratory test, and a sedated oral exam. None of this has helped. She doesn’t cough at certain times. It’s all very random and she eats and plays like normal after. The coughs are lasting longer. I’m worried it’s something with her heart. But I don’t want to focus on that (cardiologist appointment soon) while discounting other possible issues. It’s not an upper respiratory. Will send you videos

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! On the off chance she's sensitive to it, could you try a change of litter?
Even a change of food?
:vibes::redheartpump:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats with asthma tend to cough, or it sounds like a cough. Also, it could be allergies. Could be heartworms, could be pseudomonas. Yes, it could be the heart, but what are the chances you have yet another cat with heart issues :alright:.

Was there any specific reason the Vet treated with antibiotics? I'm guessing they thought there was some sort of bacterial infection, but why did they think that...bloodwork or some sort of test?

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about her size. One of my males only weighs 9 pounds, and the other weighs 14. Cats come in all sizes. Our female was a tiny cat all her life. Maybe 7.5 pounds in her prime.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I adopted my 2 kittens after losing 2 of my cats to heart failure around different times. My girl that I’m worried about is 20 weeks old now very tiny. 5 pounds and her brother (different litter) is 14 weeks at 9 pounds. My girl has had a cough since the day we brihght her home. Vet has now tried 2 different antibiotics, steroids, upper respiratory test, and a sedated oral exam. None of this has helped. She doesn’t cough at certain times. It’s all very random and she eats and plays like normal after. The coughs are lasting longer. I’m worried it’s something with her heart. But I don’t want to focus on that (cardiologist appointment soon) while discounting other possible issues. It’s not an upper respiratory. Will send you videos
I would love a video for a kitten fix. And someone here might recognize the "type" of cough that's going on. There's dry, hacking coughs, wet, heavy coughs that sound mucous related and wheezing, heaving coughs, etc. that might point to what could possibly be going on, but no one can be sure over the internet of course. :wave2:
Our cats range from 15 pounds to 7 pounds, soaking wet. The little ones are tiny but mighty!