Kitten weights

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My foster cat Shadow gave birth to five kittens four days ago. They're already opening their eyes and seem healthy. Mom cat is doing very well and loves her babies.

Now; today was the first day I really weighed all five kittens. I did try to weigh them the first day, but didn't get to all five as I wanted to give them and Shadow some space.
So, the weights are-
Lux - 5.8oz
Shimmer - 5.7oz
Sunny - 4.5oz
Ray - 3.8oz
Glow - 3oz

Now, to me the size differences seem very obvious and worrying. The biggest kitten is nearly twice the size of the smallest kitten. Around 3oz was what I weighed for birth weights for the two I did manage to weigh, and not what I expect from a kitten more than half a week old already. But then, they are still really young.
So now I'm going to be weighing them every day again, now that I know mom is comfortable enough to let me. Fingers crossed I won't have to supplement milk for any of them, but we'll see.
What should be our weight goals for the end of the week?

(This is Sunny, and Shadow is eating in the background there. I'll try to post more pictures since these babies are just so precious)
1593297988341.png

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For newborns, it's ideal if you can switch your scale to display weights in grams. Look for at least 10 grams weight gain each 24 hour period, with 8 grams as a minimum (but you don't want to see just 8 grams several days in a row). If your scale won't display weight in grams, you want to see around 1/3 to 1/2 oz gain per day, with 1/4 oz as the minimum.

If I am concerned about weight gain, I usually weigh kittens twice a day, morning and evening, and look at 24 hour weight gain (so, comparing the AM number to the previous AM, and the PM number to the previous PM). You can also weigh once a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ve got a runt who is likely getting pushed off the best nipples. You may want to supplement this one, but if it is gaining 6-10 grams daily it should be okay.

Ideally, kittens should weigh about 4 ounces at the end of week one, then gain about 4 ounces each week thereafter. I agree you should weigh in grams. The others’ weights are good! :)

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I agree with the above, make sure they are growing well and progressing, also gaining a little weight.
Sometimes the mother cat only has a few "working" nipples (where the milk comes to).
Eg - currently my cat Bella has 5 kittens, but only 4 working nipples.
My kittens do fine and are all well and healthy, but sometimes if the mother has even less "working" nipples and more kittens this can be a problem.
I prefer to only use supplements in worse situations, but if the kitten doesn't improve then you may want to use one.
Basically, make sure that kitten has a space to drink and not being pushed away by others.