kitten weight

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two four and a half month old kittens. one has had runny pooh that we just solved and gained half a pound in like a week. the other hasn't gained any weight in a couple weeks now. he seems to be eating. super hyperactive. he looks bigger than his sister. but he weighs 5 pounds and she weighs 5.5 pounds. is it normal for kittens to plateau for a couple weeks here and there if everything else seems normal. he eats. he drinks. his pooh looks normal he plays hard. sleeps hard..

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seems to be eating or is eating? Can you monitor his intake? Otherwise, kittens eat how they want and since his energy and output is good, I wouldn't worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seems to be eating or is eating? Can you monitor his intake? Otherwise, kittens eat how they want and since his energy and output is good, I wouldn't worry.

my husband says hes seen him nearly finish his entire bowl of food in one sitting and he tends to be the one who feeds them more than me so im just going on what he says but I say seems to be since I dont' have first hand visual knowledge. I've seen him nibble personally. but it all seems normal. he's not like turning his nose up at anything. he has different standards on how much a kitten should eat than I do though, so never sure if he means that he saw him take a few nibbles or actually eat most of the bowl of food lol as far as he is concerned as long as there is some interest in food kitteh is eating enough I normally would be like that but since we have a scale and monitor with these two kittens and haven't done before it adds a new element. I wouldn't be worried if I didn't have a scale. lol

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If hubs says he's eating well, then I'd say he's good! If he's a really active kitten he might just be burning it off. Plus they go through growth spurts and things. Hard to compare 2 different kittens. Some eat a lot and are less active so they weigh more.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If hubs says he's eating well, then I'd say he's good! If he's a really active kitten he might just be burning it off. Plus they go through growth spurts and things. Hard to compare 2 different kittens. Some eat a lot and are less active so they weigh more.

she is def less zoomy than he is.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ty for your replies. :) I don't think I could worry about them any more even if they were human babies lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 5 months, the average kitten weight is 5 pounds — so at 5 pounds and 4 1/2 months he’s fine! Your gal is overly fine.

Do you plan to spay and neuter both by 6 months? It’s healthiest and safest by then, or his testosterone will begin to come in and she will be fertile whether she’s had a heat cycle or not.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At 5 months, the average kitten weight is 5 pounds — so at 5 pounds and 4 1/2 months he’s fine! Your gal is overly fine.

Do you plan to spay and neuter both by 6 months? It’s healthiest and safest by then, or his testosterone will begin to come in and she will be fertile whether she’s had a heat cycle or not.
They were spayed and neutered very young that's all done with. About the being 5 pounds
already The vet says they will be very large cats lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have 4 “kittens” (lol) born of a pregnant stray who I kept and are now 8 years old. They were all small but they are huge cats now — I mean 15 to 20 pounds of big. They are also gorgeous. The 3 males in particular took close to 2 years to grow into their full sizes. 😊