Kitten weight

Adel1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi 👋

My cat gave birth to 5 kittens 8 weeks ago.....currently 2 off them are just over average in weight, one is huge and 2 off them are about 250g under....is this normal for a litter? They are eating wet food, litter trained, not as bouncy as the other 3 just seem a little behind

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Every kitty is different. Have they have a vet check yet? That would be my first suggestion for any kittens. At this age they should be very playful but some will be more outgoing in personality than others. Maybe this link will help a bit. It tells a lot of what you can expect during the different stages of kitten development. Take a look and let us know if you need more information or have other questions. Also let us know how the babies are doing. Oh.... and we would love to see pictures of them if you would like to post some! How Old Is My Kitten? [An Illustrated Guide] – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adel1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, they do come over for a play and play with the other kittens they just aren't running around all over the place the biggest kitten is over 1000g the other 2 are over 800g then the small 2 are 550

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My only concern is that you have 2 eight-week-old kittens who weigh just over a pound each when they should weigh about 2 pounds at 8 weeks. It’s no wonder they do not play as much — the others are nearly twice as heavy and therefore stronger.

Do the two smaller kittens eat much wet food? Can you feed them separately from the others so they get a peaceful opportunity to fill up? They could use to catch up in their weight.

I agree that each kitten has its own personality, and males seem at times more boisterous than females. When my kitten family was growing up, the 3 males were rough with each other while the female stuck by her mother and was a bit smaller.

Adel1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are 8 weeks Tuesday.......they are all having a little food not alot....I seperate the bigger to so they can nurse with mum alone and have got some formula from the vets they have they do play...they just don't aren't as fast and frantic if that makes sense...more chilled

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should be eating soft pate style cat food by now. You can make a mush of it by adding in a little kitten formula. They need this in addition to nursing mom.

They can also have dry kitten chow moistened with the kitten formula or water. Try offering wet food to them on a flat plate several times a day. Once they begin eating more soft food they will grow better.

Adel1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They should be eating soft pate style cat food by now. You can make a mush of it by adding in a little kitten formula. They need this in addition to nursing mom.

They can also have dry kitten chow moistened with the kitten formula or water. Try offering wet food to them on a flat plate several times a day. Once they begin eating more soft food they will grow better.
Hi
They are eating wet food

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s good! You previously said they were eating “a little food, not alot,” so it might help if you offer the wet food several times a day. 😊

Adel1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are being fed 3 times a day and dry food is down all the time. I jist wondered if with a big litter its normal for kittens to vary in size. I've spoken to the vet so it's fine anyway