Kitten weight/meal Frequency/bowel movement

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten 12 hours ago, presumably 1.5 month. I know it is too young but previous owner can't keep it. presumably because she looks so tiny, weighs around 450-500g so I'm not sure about her age :? I gave her wet food and water. She ate, peed in the litter box, didn't drink and still has not passed stool. is this normal?

She also meows constantly even if I offer food. I'm not sure how to make her feel more comfortable.

btw, we have another cat and we introduced them for a short period of time. they are not friendly to each other. my first cat also seems to have changed and frantically burry her poop. even though they have separate litter boxes in different rooms. Thank you.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably meowing because she is frightened and looking for her mom. You can pick her up and cuddle her and that may quiet her down. As far as drinking, she is getting some liquid in her wet food but since she is so young, you can purchase some kitten replacement milk (KMR) or goats milk and offer her some of that. You could also try some Beechnut pure chicken meat baby food thinned to soupy with the KMR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Should I be worried because she did not poop even though she had two meals?
I put her in the litter box many times. she peed twice that was it.
google said to wait 48 hours before checking with vet, because some kittens do not poop after a meal :headshake:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are a little nervous, the pooping may be delayed. Main thing she did pee twice, as it shows she is decently hydrated. But continue to be sure she has enough fluids.
A little too little fluid gives too some constipation.

You can always add a couple three drops of coldpressed olive oil with her food.
Almost any food oil will work, but this oil is also a good food by itself.

There is more to try if she has a real constipation, but more fluids and perhaps some coldpressed oil are the first steps.