Kitten Weaning Diarrhea Problems

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I started to wean my foster kittens recently and they got terrible diarrhea. I started with Royal canin babycat food two weeks ago and one started throwing up and 2 had loose stool so I put them back on formula in case it was too soon. Since then i have tried a couple times with the same results. On Monday(9/24) i started weaning them again and they all got diarrhea on tuesday, i switched to beachnut chicken baby food with no improvement and tried beachnut turkey with no improvement. They are about 5 or 6 weeks old(could even be older) and do not want the bottle anymore plus the formula was constipating for them(I used GNC premium milk replacer). They did previously have tapeworm but have been dewormed with droncit and strongid. I am taking them to the vet tomorrow for Flagyl, but I am afraid for them, and afraid maybe they are just food intolerant. I tested one for Giardia which was negative and the fecal was negative also. Any advice? Thank you!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving them boiled chicken breast or ground beef with boiled white rice? Boil the rice with lots of water and simmer on low for 1 hour if possible. If I use a rice cooker, I add extra water. As the diarrhea slows down, I decrease the ratio of rice to meat.
Also, I like to use goat milk instead of whey based products. My preference is the powdered goat milk in a can or fresh, if you can find it.
Giving bottled, filtered or good well water mixed 50/50 unflavored pedialyte is important for electrolyte replacement, too.
And ensure that the litter is fragrance free. The perfumes and scents can irritate sensitive anal tissues & make matters worse. I was able to help 2 friends alleviate chronic diarrhea in their cats just by having the litter switched to a truly unscented litter.
Please keep us updated & thank you for fostering!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To add recipes above - pedialyte made of rice water cooked as above + added salt, is always good with diarrhea.

GNC is based on goats milk, I believe.

Still goats milk as such is always useful as supplement.

Raw goats milk may even have some healthy properties. May be worth to try in cases of "bad stomach".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving them boiled chicken breast or ground beef with boiled white rice? Boil the rice with lots of water and simmer on low for 1 hour if possible. If I use a rice cooker, I add extra water. As the diarrhea slows down, I decrease the ratio of rice to meat.
Also, I like to use goat milk instead of whey based products. My preference is the powdered goat milk in a can or fresh, if you can find it.
Giving bottled, filtered or good well water mixed 50/50 unflavored pedialyte is important for electrolyte replacement, too.
And ensure that the litter is fragrance free. The perfumes and scents can irritate sensitive anal tissues & make matters worse. I was able to help 2 friends alleviate chronic diarrhea in their cats just by having the litter switched to a truly unscented litter.
Please keep us updated & thank you for fostering!
I changed all the litter to a fragrance free one, thanks for the tip:) Do you know what ratio of meat to rice i give them?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use 50/50 and blend in diluted pedialyte (you can use broth or bottled water to dilute the pedialyte) to make a runny slurry for the first feed or two. I work up to a tablespoon of rice per cup of meat. and if the diarrhea slows, I try adding goat milk kmr because the nutrition for tinies is so important.