Kitten was throwing up faint yellowish liquid

Officer.FuzzyFace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning I noticed our new kitten (maybe 1-1.5 months old) didn't want to eat and threw up some kind of that pale yellow liquid.

I've never had a cat before, so I'm panicking. I found him in some bushes 2 weeks ago and I took him to the vet last saturday. He got one shot and was given dewormer. He's been doing great and was extremely healthy, active, and playful until today and I know it's food related.

Food has been a bit of an issue around here. When I found him and first tried to get him to eat I thought he needed kitten replacement formula. He wouldn't drink it, so I mixed it with canned salmon and he loved it. After learning canned salmon was bad for them, I felt like shit and have been trying to get him to eat kitten pate.

He hates it. So, I've been mixing in the tinest amount of pate with the salmon, hoping to eventually replace it but he really hates it. HE also hates that shred food too, even w/sauce.

Well, last night my 11 yr old daughter and I had Panera for dinner and my daughter gave him bits of the chicken breast from her chicken chipotle mayo sandwich and I wasn't happy about it, but didn't think it'd be too bad for him. Welp, early this AM he threw up all that chicken. He didn't want to eat his regular food, but wanted to drink. Unfortunately after drinking, he threw up the water and there was a slight yellow tint to it, I'm guessing bile.

All today, I've been watching him and giving him little bits of water. sometimes he could keep it down, sometimes he threw it up.

I gave him some pedialyte around 2:30ish after learning it was ok and he's keeping it down. He's still not interested in eating though. He's definitely tired and I'm sure b/c he hasn't eaten and the exhaust from throwing up earlier today. Luckily he's able to hold liquid down now.

I was thinking about taking him to the vet this evening when I get off work. Am I over reacting? I'm just so afraid for him

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think your overreacting at all and he should see a vet asap to get the vomiting addressed. Glad he's holding down the pedialight that will help keep him hydrated since water doesn't stay down yet. I'm sure with the right care he'll be just fine. Try to be calm though I know having a young I'll kitten is scary. They seem very fragile.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! With a kitten this young, you are not overreacting and he should see the vet. An older, otherwise healthy cat would give you a little bit of room for observation, but your baby is too young to wait. Yellow does indicate bile usually.