Kitten Walking Up The Stairs... Expected Age?

echomeuffels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old should a kitten be before it walks up the stairs? My kitten Lainey is 3 weeks and already following her mom up the stairs

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten should not be allowed to walk around the house at this age. Please keep her in one kitten-proof room.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Way too early. They are still very wobbly with an undeveloped eyes sight, and may easily fall off anything. Look, at that age most moms are very eager to keep them still in the nest... Traying to get out of the nest is their big adventure at that age...
6 weeks to begin and explore is a good age. Some individuals may begin to try at 5 weeks.
Be sure to kittensafe everything which may be dangerous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

echomeuffels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her mom started bringing her out when she was a week old. It was really weird but she threw fits until she could bring the kitten out of the room they stay in

Nelena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering about that too. In 5 days I get a 12 weeks kitten, and I am not sure what to do with the stairs. I am afraid she might fall between it! :eek2: :sniffle: Should I block the stairs, or is she old enough to walk safely in that age? I have never had a kitten before..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 12 weeks they should be able to do almost anything, unless they are sick and weak. but its wise if you manage the discovering world process to be in steps, one step at a time, supervised etc...
Begin with a safe room, so he knows its his safe room, and the exploration will go stepwise from theer after a couple of days...
But yes, in some instances there will be some risk-taking. Cant be helped, its part of life.

Kitten safe as much you can though. For example, fasten book-shelfs to the walls, because he will probably walk upon all furnitures and shelfes. Also, fasten your Ming vases with a double tape to the tables, etc... Becuase he will run madly around the house... Take away all loose strings and alike, whom doenst need to be swallowed nor chewed up etc.

I was wondering about that too. In 5 days I get a 12 weeks kitten, and I am not sure what to do with the stairs. I am afraid she might fall between it! :eek2: :sniffle: Should I block the stairs, or is she old enough to walk safely in that age? I have never had a kitten before..