Kitten walking on his wrists

annbea22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my kitten was about 3 weeks old, he was bitten by on older Tom cat about near his shoulders. He recovered but hasn't regained the ability to walk on his front paws. As a result he walks on his wrists. I live in a remote area where it is difficult to access quality vet services. Any rehab abilities to help with his walking ability?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago was this? He needs to see a vet ASAP, although if the injury was a while ago there may be little to do at this point. Walking on the wrist could be a sign of nerve damage which there is little you can do to rehab it if the underlying injury isn't or wasn't properly treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annbea22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was about 3 weeks ago. We brought him to the vet to give him antibiotics when it happened.
Unfortunately, I live in South East Asia where there aren't a lot of high- tech veterinary services, that is why I am asking for advice on this forum.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you share a photo?

The only thing I can think of is to wrap the paws with a split to put them in the correct spot and move the legs to stretch them regularlu. As long as the kitten has blood flow to the paws, there is a chance the nerves will repair. But it's an assumption it is nerve damage.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/cat-leg-nerve-damage

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hydrotherapy might help him. Fill a small tub with water, just deep enough for him to have to swim. Support him tummy with you hand, and let him "paddle." It may help over time. Start out fairly slow...about 10 minutes at a time, daily, and if he seems to be improving, slowlly lengthen the sessions up to about half an hour. Make sure the water is not COLD. It should be tepid. Neither warm nor cold, right in between.

annbea22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion. It is worth a try!

annbea22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the useful idea! Here is a picture of what he looks like while he walks. Sorry its so blurry, but he's a guy on the move! 1630400763514.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What if kitty is frightened of the water?
They tend to adjust pretty well, and fairly quickly if the water temp is tepid, and they are supported. Most cats don't care for water, but if someone is patient with them, they either learn to tolerate it quite well, or in some cases, to actually enjoy it (which is how I ended up taking baths with a 12 pound tom cat for several years).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please don’t try hydrotherapy on your kitten. This is not fixable with anything like physical therapy or anything you can do at home.

I know you said it’s hard to get to a vet. Is there a university you could go to?
Make sure this kitten is eating a balanced diet.
Also getting a kitten wet at this age in a bad idea. It is hard for them to regulate their body temp.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They tend to adjust pretty well, and fairly quickly if the water temp is tepid, and they are supported. Most cats don't care for water, but if someone is patient with them, they either learn to tolerate it quite well, or in some cases, to actually enjoy it (which is how I ended up taking baths with a 12 pound tom cat for several years).
My cat Pallina (now at the Bridge) had a neurological trauma and had to undergo a course of Physiotherapy where the vets would make her do some physical excercises, and one of the was on sort of a treadmill. The machine was intended for dogs, and the treadmill was into kind of aquarium filled with water, so that dogs could float while walking on the belt, but for Pallina they had to empty the machine and have her walk on the dry belt.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With this kitten there is no diagnosis of what is wrong so physical therapy isn’t warranted.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still think that hydrotherapy will certainly not harm a thing! And may do some good. Sometimes when other avenues are not open, we take our best shot. And we have already been told that @annabea22 lives in a remote area, and that she was specifically searching for some physical therapy that might help her kitten.