Kitten Vaccinations

misha13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

A stray cat had three babies in my backyard, they're almost six weeks now and I've read that now is a good time to get them vaccinated? I just need a little help picking out which ones they need, its a bit overwhelming because there are so many! I was wondering if it would be ok to just get them the distemper for their initial vaccinations. The mother does not look healthy so I was also thinking maybe a fecal test and dewormer if they need it? I dont want to give them the leukemia vaccination unless they test positive for leukemia, would that be ok? Also when is a good time to get them the rabies shot? Are they too young for it now? If they are going to be indoors is that really necessary? My worry is in over vaccinating them. And when is a good time to separate them from their mama? Is six weeks too young? I just worry that mama isnt healthy (i believe she has an upper respiratory infection since she is sneezing a ton and her eye is half closed and leaky. im working on trapping her and getting her to the vet ASAP) but I dont want them drinking her milk for too long. If y'all could just share your own experiences and what worked for you that would be great, thanks!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First shots are just the FVCRP combo vaccine. I don't think there's any other option really. Rabies and FeLV vaccinations aren't supposed to be given before 12 weeks. There would be no point in giving the FeLV vaccine if they test positive ;). It's supposed to prevent FeLV. I wouldn't bother with the FeLV vaccine if they're going to be inside. Rabies vaccine is recommended even if they're inside for legal reasons. Don't worry about overvaccinating them now; when they get older you can decide how often you want to repeat vaccines. But kitten vaccines are necessary.

If the mama cat isn't tame you might want to remove them now. She might teach them to be afraid of humans. But if you're already handling them easily, it's OK to leave them with her for a few more weeks. Mother's milk has a lot of antibodies and stuff that helps to build the kittens' immune systems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misha13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhh ok well I feel silly, that makes sense haha thank you so much for clarifying! Yes they are a little afraid of me but I'm faster so they cant run away :lol: They're getting to be very active and running away to the neighbors backyard which I'm worried about because they have huge dogs they keep back there, so I think I'll remove them now. Should I give them kitten formula since they'll be without her milk? What should I be feeding them once they're inside? Thanks again!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd give them some KMR mixed with canned kitten food, for at least a few weeks.

The mama cat may be distressed. It might be a good time to trap her, using a cloth with her kittens' scent on it as bait.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you plan to trap and spay mom? The kittens will need spay/neuters by 12 weeks as well.

Do you have a local low-cost spay/neuter clinic?

Thanks for helping them out! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misha13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! I will definitely look into the KMR. As for the trapping, I just went out and bought a havaheart trap but i've never used one before. Hopefully will have her trapped by the end of the week though! And yes, I will definitely be getting her spayed, she seems really sick though will they even perform the surgery?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is sick you'll need to get her well first. I hope you can trap her ASAP as it sounds like she really needs help, poor gal.

What does she seem sick with?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's somewhat handleable, get her to the vet for a Convenia injection for the infection before the spay. If she's not handleable at all, ask the spay clinic. Some of them will spay a cat who has a URI that isn't too severe, and then give a Convenia injection to treat the URI and prevent an infection at the surgery site.